1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My First House

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 17, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

5.25% is that on a 15-year loan?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. Still, I'm not going to risk losing my house based upon my credit card debt. I'd rather pay a little more to keep them separate.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10-year loan.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awwwwe. nice. good work on getting it paid off quickly.

and if you don't mind, how much more you paying a month on a 10 than you would have on a 30?

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Also, too many people have no-interest loans and for years haven't paid down one cent of principle. Yeah, that's the cheaper way to live, but what are you thinking, that the principal is just going to disappear?

I agree with the sentiment that way too many folks signed their names to documents without doing their due diligence.

6. BTExpress

About $500 more per month. An estimate, because 5.25% rate was not available for 30-year loans. I believe 5.75% was the best rate for 30 years at the time. Given those numbers . . .

Total interest paid:

$29,000 over 10 years.

$127,000 over 30 years.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that is fucking awesome.

i wish i could do the same.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that paying an extra month's payment every year will knock a 30-year mortgage down to 17 1/2 years. That's what I'm trying to do. That extra month goes straight to principal.

9. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

Just make sure you send it as a separate check that's marked "For prepaid principal" along with your regular payment.

10. BTExpress

I believe it typically knocks 7 1/2 years off the mortgage.

So you are looking at 22-23 years. Still a good idea, though.

11. GoZags!!

GoZags!! Member

You guys ever watch "House Hunters" ?
    It doesn't go into the details of the type of loan, etc., but does tell you what the buyer does for a living usually, and how much of a house they're buying.

I watched one over the weekend that was somewhere in Rhode Island, and it was a single mom with 2 kids -- a second-grade teacher -- and she bought a $325,000 house (moving from a rental, not selling another house) and added a bathroom to the basement when she moved in. I wondered how a teacher on that sole income could afford that mortgage.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Next time you drive through Providence, look for her outside a homeless shelter.

Draft saved Draft deleted