1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my first furlough day...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about furlough. Missing the pay sucks, but then again, time off in this biz is like gold.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The time you lose in not gold in your bank account though.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just make sure filing for unemployment is part of something you do on furlough.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's the tradeoff.

5. KG

KG Active Member

Both mine and Mr.G's hours have been cut back. Now Mr.G's employer wants to change the insurance (the only policies we have) to a different company with a crappy plan that only pays 50% with a $15,000 deductible. The prenatal care is even worse, and there is no well baby plan. Oh, there's also no cushy copay. You have to pay 50% of everything, even general office visits. All this, right before we try to make a little G. I'm keeping my head up though and looking for another job so I can get my own policy on myself so I won't have to depend on his.

6. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

I'm on UD8 (unemployment day 8). It's pretty miserable - I'm so effing lonely. I always thought being a SAHW would be great, but it pretty much sucks.

I interview for jobs in the morning, run errands or do housework in the afternoon while I prepare another round of resumes for the next day.

I've easily spent over $200 on resume paper, printer cartidges, resume/clips folders, thank you notes, and stamps in the past week alone. Not to mention gas to drive to all of these interviews and the ridiculous cost to park, without parking validation by the interviewee of course.

I know I made the right decision, but sometimes I feel like I just should have stayed at my drowning paper, shuffled the deck chairs around, taken the paycut to my not-so-glam salary and dealt with the upcoming furlough.

God, I need a job or else I'm going to go crazier than I already am.

7. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Tradeoff? You're kidding, right?

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

appreciate it, spnited. you understand better most, obviously. thank to everyone else here who has weighed in since the initial backlash.

and only the best of thoughts back at all who are in a similar boat. it's an awful time for all of us.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the bright side, look at all the practice you can get...

Draft saved Draft deleted