1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first encounter with a parent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wannabejourno, Oct 17, 2007.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

My nightmare is a parent asking for JV band coverage.
    My paper runs an online poll and I swear someday I'm going to post the question, "Do you give 2 shits about the local HS band? Band parents cannot vote."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you cover JV band? They blow just as hard as the varsity.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I love these horror stories.
    This floated into my email box today, obviously from a parent:
    "Could you put something in the paper about Podunk Recreation dept. 8 & under Gold team won the 2007 League Championship - Undefeated!!!
    These boys worked hard to be so small and win every single game!!"
    Uhh, yeah lady, I'll get right on that.
    Seriously, though, I sent an email that explained if we covered one youth team, we'd have to cover all of them in our coverage area (and we don't do youth sports). Also referred her to our "community news" editor. Hope that works.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's a step up for you, isn't it?

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Nah, although the D-I team I cover does play like eight-year-olds sometimes.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Speaking of 8-year-olds, they tore down most of the Post-Herald section today... Back wall and side wall are left, most of the floors and the front of that side of the building now all gone...

Draft saved Draft deleted