1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first encounter with a parent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wannabejourno, Oct 17, 2007.

1. wannabejourno

wannabejourno New Member

I am a newbie in the business, but I have been reading this site for a while and all the horror stories about parents, so I figured I'd share. I write for a small circulation and we have to cover some youth games. As I am walking into the game the other day this mom comes up to me and says, you are that writer that has been covering all these games for the paper. I think it is just great what you are doing, these kids work just as hard as the high schoolers. You know what you need more of in the paper though, JV games. My other daughter plays for the team and they have been doing really good this year.
    I almost started laughing when she finished, but I contained myself and thanked her for reading the paper.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I must admit, if you're covering youth games, it's kind of hard to argue against covering subvarsity high school teams.
    Here's hoping you move on to bigger and better things very qucikly.

3. wannabejourno

wannabejourno New Member

Thanks small potatoes, I have no arguements with covering JV. I just thought the whole they work just as hard as everyone else was kinda funny to hear for the first time. I'm sure I will hear it many more times.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

You will: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/47727/

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Go to the local screen printing shop and get a t-shirt printed that says, "Yeah, I know. They work just as hard."

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the mating call of the minor sport/JV/freshman/band/cheerleading/youth sports parent.

7. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

The idea of these people mating, and multiplying, frightens me.

8. How hot was the mom? Maybe she wanted more "coverage" from the new young buck in town.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If she's hot, bone it like you own and write about her kid.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And if she keeps bugging you, upper-deck her.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Little Johnny, who's mom is the best-looking cougar in West Bumblefuck, had no points in one series of action.

12. wannabejourno

wannabejourno New Member

Haha nice Zeke, sadly little Johnny's mom was no milf.

Draft saved Draft deleted