1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first call from a collection agency

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Please forgive us, Jones. Sometimes hondo doesn't realize how much his stupidity embarrasses the rest of us south of your border.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Message to Grant & Weber: you seriously picked the wrong guy to screw with. Lord have mercy on y... naw, fuck that. Get 'em, Mr. Jones.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Do they take these?
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't resist Chris.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The guy probably works for a company that either bought the debt -- at something like 5-10 cents for each dollar -- or is working off sheer commission from collecting bad debt.

Had this happen to me over a decade ago following a move across the country. The movers I hired gave me a guaranteed price for the move that included everything -- packing, supplies, moving, loading, unloading, etc.

Well, when they got to my new city, the street my apartment was on was under repair so they had to reload the stuff onto a smaller truck. A week later, I received a bill for $250 from the local moving company that handled the move for the company I hired. I responded with a letter and ignored it.

Eventually, the bill went to a collector and I received calls for about two days until I faxed the guy my contract and the letter I sent. I never heard from them again and since I bought a house about a year later, it didn't impact my credit.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I prefer to use accurate. :)

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Can a sperm bank take a deposit over the phone?

7. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Yes.
    1-900- ...

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That is why collection agencies are dubbed "the muscle."

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Depends on whose phone you're using.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

My wife is the victim of identity theft, so we get calls/letters from collection agencies all the freakin' time.

My philosophy on handling these bottom-feeders is simple. I explain what happened, that this isn't our debt and I don't send money to people over the phone I don't know. After all, how do I know you're not trying to scam us?

For us to even considering sending you anything, I need to see copies of the credit application and all the bills in question. Usually, they're from Northern California -- where we have never lived.

Even though this is the law that they have to provide this, this usually stops them in their tracks. If it doesn't, and if I get a letter, I go on the offensive and send one right back, explaining all of the above and that if they don't cease and desist, my lawyer will be in touch.

THAT usually does the trick, although one pesky agency back in Illinois keeps sending letters, requesting less money each time. I've sent the letters to my childhood buddy/lawyer, who I believe has dealt with it accordingly.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Years ago when my youngest child was a baby, he got really sick and we took him to our local hospital. Long story short, the ER misdiagnosed him and sent us home. A couple of days later, we took him to another hospital, where he spend several nights there, and time in a rehab center. It's lucky that we got him there, otherwise, he probably would have died.

The first hospital billed us for the co-payment (I think it was $75 or $100 ) for the ER visit. My wife and I refused to pay. A few months later, I got the call from the collection agency.

I told him that I would be happy to send him copies of our bills for the other hospital and rehab center, and that he could compensate me for those bills, and deduct the $75-$100 from those. I also told him that if he called again, that I would then sue the hospital for malpractice and for a hell of a lot more than the bills from the other hospital and rehab center.

The guy never called again.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When I first got the cell phone number I have now 2-3 years ago, I would keep getting collection agencies calling for this woman that I have never heard of.

Numerous times I told them that this isn't her number and that I don't know anyone by that name. I told them not to call again, yet they kept calling.

I never did write a cease and desist because they eventually did stop, after several calls to their supervisors.

Draft saved Draft deleted