1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My field of 65 — Feel free to dissect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by the_lorax, Mar 16, 2008.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I was actually going through in my head which teams in and which teams out come tomorrow, put together this list, and it actually added up to exactly 65. Seems like a pretty clear-cut bubble to me, though you may disagree (my apologies to Villanova, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, New Mexico and VCU, my last five out.)
    Of course, this all changes if Georgia and/or Illinois wins tomorrow and takes another auto bid. I would say that puts teams like Illinois State, Arizona, Oregon, Kentucky and Ohio State (my last five in) in pretty extreme danger. To make things easy, maybe the committee would sub Illinois for Ohio State and Georgia for Kentucky if need be. Those games both end right before the selection show.
    Discuss, but with one caveat: If you want a team in, say who you sub out, and vice-versa.
    Yes, this is my Saturday night.

(Teams in order of seeding, bolded team won auto bid)

ACC (4) — North Carolina, Duke, Clemson, Miami

A-10 (3) — Xavier, St. Joseph's, Temple

Big 12 (6) — Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Texas A&M, Baylor

Big Ten (5) — Wisconsin, Purdue, Michigan State, Indiana, Ohio State

Big East (7) — Georgetown, Louisville, Notre Dame, Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Marquette, West Virginia.

MVC (2) — Drake, Illinois State

Mountain West (2) — BYU, UNLV

Pac-10 (6) — UCLA, Stanford, Washington State, USC, Arizona, Oregon.

SEC (5) — Tennessee, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Kentucky.

Sun Belt (2) — South Alabama, Western Kentucky.

WCC (3) — Gonzaga, St. Mary's, San Diego.

Auto bids from one-bid leagues (20) — Winthrop (Big South), Austin Peay (OVC), Belmont (A-Sun), Cornell (Ivy), Siena (MAAC), George Mason (CAA), Davidson (Southern), Oral Roberts (Summit), Butler (Horizon), Mt. St. Mary's (NEC), Portland State (Big Sky), American U (Patriot), Memphis (C-USA), UMBC (AEC), Kent State (MAC), Coppin State (MEAC), Mississippi Valley State (SWAC), Boise State (WAC), CS-Fullerton (Big West), Northwestern St./UT-Arlington (Southland).

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Your bracket goes to shit if Illinois beats Wisconsin. Ditto Georgia over Arkansas.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I pick George Mason to win the whole, fucking thing.

4. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Did you read the part where I discuss that? Sub Illinois for Ohio State or Georgia for Kentucky. Bang.

5. I'd put in Arizona State, take out Arizona

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. I loathe preambles. Except one.

7. Fair enough

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Also, neither Ohio State nor Oregon deserves to be in over Illinois State or VCU.

9. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Well, I can make this real easy for you then. If one wins, take out the team at the bottom (Ohio State). If both win, take out the bottom two teams (OSU and Kentucky). Doesn't really go to shit.
    And Illinois State is in. VCU probably deserves to be, but don't hold your breath.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're right. I think Virginia Tech is more deserving than those two teams, as well.

11. I'd be surprised if the Big 12 gets six, which I guess means I've got Baylor in the NIT.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Regardless of what happens to Illinois or Georgia tomorrow ... Illinois State in, Kentucky out.

Illinois State = RPI 33, vs. Top 100 = 5-5
    Kentucky = RPI 57, vs. Top 100 = 5-10

Draft saved Draft deleted