1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My fear of the dentist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Vodka or gin?

2. I understand the dread, but personally never been an issue with the dentist. It's the doctor with me. Never fails that my blood pressure goes up to the point where he questions it. And I always point out, "No offense, but I just don't like being at the doctor's office." The anxiety in the week or two before a physical is awful and i dread that. And I'm reasonably healthy, thankfully.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've got to say that I'm really shocked by this thread. The drilling doesn't last very long and it barely hurts. I think the shots to numb the area have got to be worse than the discomfort from the drill. And like I said, I'm a total wimp. Or maybe I'm not.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Dyno -- maybe you have just never had a live nerve drilled into.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Dyno -- I'm with you - the shots are worse than the drill.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have. Hurts badly for like 10 seconds and then it's over.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I am the same way, and I don't even consciously hate going to the doctor. But every time I test my blood pressure at home (we have a machine, you can get one for like 40 bucks at a drugstore), it's something like 122/79 or thereabouts. Go to the doctor, and a hour or two later, boom, it's 140/90. Didn't eat anything, drank some water, tried to stay calm -- and every time the numbers are higher at the doctor's. I imagine if I did have high blood pressure, then I would be consciously stressed, and my numbers would spike even more.

8. Preaching to the choir brother, glad to hear I'm not alone. Reminds me, I have to schedule my physical. Ugh. Here we go...

9. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Just one question: "Is it safe?"

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

maybe cause my mom was a dental hygienest waaay back in the 'pre-shockey' daze, i'd never had a huge dentistphobia. but despite my brushing/flossing regimen forever, i still developed gum problems which required periodontal work, never pleasant, and have had a couple of root canals and crown impants.

once i became wheelchair-bound (3-4 years agao?) i stopped going to my dentist, who has a non-wheelchair accessible office attached to his house. since i've also lost most of the use of my right arm/hand, i'd also stopped flossing,i.

we all know the drill (no pun): the longer you go between appointments, the worse shape your teeth become -- and then you reach the point where you do fear going, 'cause you know how much work needs to be done by now.

well, the inevitable happened last week -- i broke a tooth, upper middle left. thankfully it wasn't rubbing against the cheek; nor was any nerve exposed. so i just went to our new family dentist as soon as i had enough muscle to get me there.

so mrs. shockey, middle son shockey and baby-boy shockey got me there yesterday. his immediate diagnosis: i required a root canal before he puts a post and crown on the tooth. convenitently, his 'root-canal guy' is just a mile or so from his office and he was able to see me immediately (it was about 4:30). now, the last time i had root canal it was a three- or four-visit process, which would be a
    HUGE nightmare for 'team shockey' and make 'em all resent me even more than they already do.

much to our delight, i guess the procedure has advanced over the years and this prince was able to do mine in one shot. he did a great job of loading me with novacaine; only the injections hurt just a little bit.

now, i still have to get to the dentist in a week or two so he can complete the restoration process, but of course his initial look around my mouth screamed to him that my gums are again in bad shape, the tarter buildup will require a chisel to chip away, and i have godonlyknows how many cavities to fill.

by the time i get the final verdict, i'll probably require, what, a month of visits?man, just when i thought my life couldn't throw many more hurdles in my path....

oh, yeah, and the root-canal area has been screaming up a storm since last night, i'm home alone until about 3, and my useless right hand can't open the pain 'script bottle i have (these effin' things are more than just 'child-proof'')....

what's my point? i forgot... oh, yeah, the moral is you'd get over your irrational fear of the dentist. 'cause if you don't, you're staring at a self-fulfilling propesy of potentially excruciating consequences in terms of pain, both physical and financial. not to mention the time waste and emotional trauma.

lord only knows how much my teeth are gonna cost us now. and as we all know, the feeble dental insurance all of us surely have will barely soften the blow. :'( :'( :'(

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not scared of the dentist, I just hate it.

Between wisdom teeth, braces, other orthodontia that I had as a kid, I hate going to the dentist, even if it's for a routine checkup and cleaning. I'd rather do just about anything than go to the dentist.

I've never missed a physical and I have no problem going to the regular doctor.

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Absolutely fucking hate going to the dentist, which is why I do so way less often than I should. I've been carrying a nasty toothache around for more than a week, which means I probably need to go schedule a month's worth of work.

Had my wisdom teeth out at 22, and really, I don't remember that operation having been all that bad. They drugged me up pretty good; I do have a vague memory of having been loopy for the rest of that day and a good chunk of the next.

Draft saved Draft deleted