1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My fear of the dentist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Mar 7, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, folks. I had a rough summer. I went in to hot LZs to pick up patients and never fucking flinched. Bullets, RPGs, mortars, rockets, you name it.

But when I sat in the dentist's chair this afternoon to get a cavity filled, I broke into an all-out sweat. At one point, I had to ask the dentist -- who happened to look like he was about 12 -- to stop and hand me a paper towel to wipe the sweat.

Here's how it went down.

He sticks the little Q-tip with the topical anesthetic between my cheek and gum. After a short wait, he gives me the first shot. No problem. After about five minutes, or so, he starts drilling. I feel it. A burning sensation. OK, another shot. Not a huge deal. After a short wait, he drills again. I feel it. Again.

This went on four more times. Each time, his shots were in places that were harder to get to (like, between my teeth and between the tooth and gum) and he had to use more pressure to get the needle into the bone. I could tell, both by the pressure he was applying to my jaw and how much his thumb was shaking as it was closing in on the syringe, that he was white-knuckling this whole process. I can't imagine how sore my gums are going to be tomorrow.

I was so afraid his hand was going to slip and I'd wind up with a needle in my throat that I would clinch my body, raise my back, clutch my hands, close my eyes and break out in a sweat. And I'm not talking about a little sweat, here. My clothes were still wet when I got home.

He used so much medicine that my ear is numb.

I felt like such a weenie. I kept putting the brakes on the process and causing everyone to have to wait around for the last shot to take effect.

Now, I know no one likes the dentist. But, should I have reacted the way I did?

Anyone else react the same way?

2. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I'm not a fan of the dentist, but I'm not really nervous anymore. I had an oral surgery as a kid with complications afterwards, so anything that the dentist did to me couldn't be as bad.

But, I can certainly understand how bad it can get.

3. I'm in the crowd of those who never understood the fear for the dentist. My wife is one who asks for the gas as soon as she sits int he chair, even tears up. Me, I have fallen asleep in the dentists chair before. It's just wierd.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not crazy about the dentist, even though I've been going to the same one for 15 years.

As a 8-year-old, I went to this one dentist who wouldn't let me hold onto my stuffed toy. I got upset, tried to lift my arms up, and one of the attendants slapped them down. Ended up running off to my parents, who were pissed off both at the dentist and me for creating a ruckus.

Later on, my parents found out that others either loved the guy, or hated him.

At my dentist nowadays, I've got to admit, I enjoy getting the gas. It's a good feeling.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dentists don't bother me. When I had my wisdom tooth out, it was like pulling teeth to get them to do it with just a local instead of knocking me out.

They like to give people the gas because it's easier for them. I'm not paying extra for that.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Seriously? I'm one of the wimpiest people I know and I've never had any kind of anesthetic when I've had a cavity filled (and I have a mouthful of silver). The only time I've had novocaine was when I had a wisdom tooth pulled.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with anesthetic. Last time I had work done it took like four shots, and the last one was a surgical anesthetic, I think. My face was numb for the rest of the day.

I'm going in Wednesday for the first time in more than a year. Not looking forward to it.

I've been putting off getting my wisdom teeth yanked for years. I'm sure I'll be getting another strong suggestion this week.

9. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Bags, see if your dentist will write you a scrip for a valium for the day of any procedure. Does the trick.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hate, hate, hate the dentist. Hate the shots I got when I had a cavity filled a handful of years ago. Hated having my wisdom teeth pulled last spring. Didn't get knocked out. Figured I'd tough it out. And I did. But it was the most uncomfortable, awkward, semi-painful thing ever.

Had three of the four pulled. First one came right out with no trouble. Pop. Out. Second one? Yeah. Dude had to throw his foot on the chair to brace himself as he pulled with all his fucking might to get that bastard out. Shot me up. Pulled. Shot me up again. Pulled again. Shot me up AGAIN. Pulled again. Each time, the shots hit a more sensitive spot on my gums or cheek or wherever the fuck he shot it. Last one was in the roof of my mouth. That sure felt awesome.

Had my hands folded on my chest during the procedure, which lasted about 15 minutes, but seemed like 8 hours. When it was over, there was a handprint-sized sweat stain on my shirt.

Fuck the dentist. I know he makes my life easier in the long run, but fuck him sideways.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When the dentist first told told me I needed my wisdom teeth out I went to work after the appointment. I asked a coworker "You ever have your wisdom teeth pulled?"

He says "Yeah, the guy had such a hard time getting them out I ended up with a bruise on my face in the shape of his hand, because that how he was bracing himself as he pulled. Why do you ask?"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Guess I'm lucky. My wisdom teeth came in about eight or nine years ago, but dentist said I didn't need to have them removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted