1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite NY columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Apr 9, 2007.

1. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

I know this is stupid, because everyone here will think I'm him (and I swear to you, I'm not—and I don't even know the guy). But I've been reading a lot of Dave Buscema lately, and he's a legitimately excellent baseball writer/columnist. He writes for a paper called The Times Herald-Record somewhere in NY. I just like his approach to it all. Has a unique voice.

I swear 1,000 times over I'm not him. I just think he's a guy who writes for a small paper and is worth reading.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Thanks for checking in Dave.

3. Ha! I do know Dave, actually. He's a good guy and a great writer. Haven't talked to him in years and didn't know where he ended up ... actually thought about Googling him recently and never got around to it.

Shea, if you are Dave, or someone else on here is, PM me and we'll reminisce about good ol times.

4. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

SCEditor, I knew someone would do that, and it's BS. Why can't a person come here and compliment another writer? Have we reached that point of cynicism where we can't give a nod to others?

You have my word, I'm not Buscema. And if I were, I'd be stupid to post here. Because people like you would say, 'Thanks for checking in ...'

No offense.

5. None taken. I, for one, eagerly await your third post.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Buscema is very good and was very good in York, Pa., before going to Middletown. Calling him a "favorite NY columnist" is a bit weird, though. I suppose technically he is, as his paper is in New York State and he writes about sports events that take place in New York City, about two hours by train from his paper's hometown. I just never thought of it that way. OK, then. New York sports columnists: Lupica, Anderson, Vecsey, Buscema.

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Buscema had a stint in Strasburg, Va. before moving to York, where he covered the Orioles. He does a fantastic job in New York and authored the book "Game of My Life, 20 stories of Yankee baseball."

My guess is that he'll end up at one of the NYC biggies before too long.

8. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

RE: "My guess is that he'll end up at one of the NYC biggies before too long."

... I'm not saying that. I just think he's overlooked. There—a third post.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Someone gave me Game Of My Life as gift and I thought it was very well done. I had never heard of Dave before that.

Where are you able to find his paper Shea?

I love the work of his brother Steve. He was great in Fargo.

10. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS0301

But I actually buy it at my local 7-11 on the summer weekends. Paper is only OK.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yikes - What's with all those single sentence paragraphs?? Is that how he always writes?

12. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

no, i think it's the online layout. my paper does the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted