1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite ad in quite some time -- Brunswick, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by joe king, Mar 24, 2009.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

I know nothing about the paper and I don't know if it will succeed where everyone else seems to be failing, but it's sure nice and refreshing to see some optimism out there for a change:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=569255

Company: The Brunswick News (a dynamic family-owned
    daily newspaper)
    Position: LAID OFF AND HAVE SOMETHING TO PROVE? WE WANT TO
    TALK TO YOU
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: April 28, 2009
    Job ID: 569255

Description:
    The Brunswick News, a morning daily on Georgia's Atlantic Coast, doesn't believe what the doomsayers are saying about newspapers, and we're moving forward to prove them wrong.

If you are an experienced reporter with the same passion for newspapers as when you started, call or e-mail me -- Kerry Klumpe, managing editor -- and we will explore the possibilities. (We're a small daily, so obviously we won't be able to match a big-city salary, but in terms of professionalism and other benefits, we're there. Plus, you get to live at the beach, midway between Savannah, Ga., and Jacksonville, Fla.)

Call Kerry Klumpe at (912) 265-8320, ext. 346 or e-mail resumes@thebrunswicknews.com

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

The only problem that I have is that it appears that Kerry just collects resumes. There have been numerous openings there and Klumpe has said that there is no hiring freeze, yet the jobs remain open.

3. I did a phone interview with Kerry about a year and a half ago.

He was very honest and a pleasure to talk with. He even did a phone interview with my wife after he learned she was a web designer (a position that they needed to fill as well).

They had some good benefits from what I remember and were doing some exciting things with their website...

I decided to take another opportunity, but would recommend to anyone interested that they apply.

They do have quite a few ad postings, as I've seen in the past, but they are a small paper and maybe it's just folks moving on...

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I talked to Kerry a few years back regarding a reference for a sportswriter I was hiring. He was professional and a class act. Joked with me that he thought about giving the guy a bad review, because he had offered him a news gig and he wanted him to take it. Seemed like a very honest and straight-forward person.

Draft saved Draft deleted