1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My fair state can actually convict a celebrity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Birdscribe, Apr 13, 2009.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Legend doesn't mean celebrity.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But Phil Spector IS a celebrity. If not for his legendary music career, then at least because he's been in the news for a number of years for his murder trials.

What's your point?

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I hear celebrity, I think someone famous to a broad range of people. Before the murder trials started, a lot of people had probably never heard of him.

When it comes to music, most people know the person on stage, not the person behind the scenes.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And Spector, with the exception of maybe Gordy or Sir George, is the most famous behind the scenes music producer ever. I still don't get your point.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd say George Martin was far more influential than was Phil Spector. Spector created a unique sound but very few notable producers followed in his footsteps.....Brian Wilson is the only one that comes to mind. Martin, meanwhile, helped to create sounds that influenced pretty much everyone who followed him. But because he was content to more or less remain in the background, he's terribly underrated.

The other thing was, Martin's work benefited his artists. When it came to Spector's work, the sound was the thing and the artists were totally superfluous. Nobody even noticed when he released "He's a Rebel" by the Crystals, when it wasn't actually the Crystals on the record.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What, no mention of Timbaland?

[/CradleRobber]

I'll take Rick Rubin for modern times. He has worked with a diverse group of artists, and done well with most.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, for starters, listen to "Born to Run," which was an extremely deliberate attempt to copy Spector's "Wall of Sound" approach.

Martin's a hell of a producer, but in terms of sheer influence I'm not sure anyone can touch Spector.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd say Tony Brown's had more impact on music over the past 2 decades than any other producer...I bet's he's produced at least 250 million albums and singles sold.

From Wiki:

After leaving that position, Brown became a producer, producing albums for several artists, predominantly on the MCA Nashville Records label. Among these acts were: Tracy Byrd, Steve Earle, Vince Gill, The Mavericks, McBride & the Ride, Reba McEntire, Brooks & Dunn, and George Strait.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

It worked. That song to me is just like a lot of Spector's productions - okay to listen to, but vastly overrated.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Producing a bunch of albums that are all in the same genre doesn't necessarily mean "impact," no matter how pretty and popular he gets them to sound.

Rick Rubin has a slightly more diverse list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I agree with you in a sense, but at the same time it's too easy to simply pigeonhole a lot of those artists just because they're all, nominally, country artists. Tracy Byrd, Steve Earle, Vince Gill and George Strait, for instance, sound nothing alike. It says something for Tony Brown's abilities that he can help them all to find their own distinctive sounds.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Your run of the mill John Shankses, no. But Phil Spector made an indelible mark on the music industry with some of the innovations he brought to recording, such as the wall of sound.

I definitely consider Spector a celebrity. And, yes, a guilty one.

Draft saved Draft deleted