1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My eye, I think I'll keep it.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 29, 2012.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

About four weeks ago, I started having trouble with my right eye.

I was getting a bright circle of light around the edges of my vision when I darted my eyes around and a huge amount of "floaters." Now I have always has a few of these, like little specks of lint floating around in my field of vision, but these were more like unraveling threads. And a zillion little dots, like the specks in French Vanilla ice cream.

With the help of the Internets, I self diagnosed posterior vitreous detachment and a little bleeding inside the eye.

Turns out, that was about right. The real problem is that a incident of PVD makes you more vulnerable to retina detachment.

I went back to the eye doctor today and he thought everything was healing up nicely. Absent any further problems, I don't have to go back for a year.

I mention this mainly to caution any of your who are especially nearsighted that this is something you may encounter as you get older. I'm 55 now, about the time this sort of thing can manifest itself.

And you don't want to screw around with anything that might threaten a detached retina.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I woudn't want to tempt karma on the whole poke-in-the-eye thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted