1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My ex-girlfriend's getting engaged...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was on my roof the other day putting up Christmas lights - it was the first time since I fell off - and I will admit I was a little gun shy.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I had a string once where three girlfriends in a row were married within 18 months of dumping me. I was never really sure what to make of that, except I knew it probably wasn't good.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That feeling you're describing? It's called "I dodged a bullet." Learn to appreciate it.

You said you broke up with her. To borrow a cheeky catch phrase, they call it a break up because it's broken. As in, wasn't working. As in, wouldn't be working now if you were the prospective groom in her life.

4. Of course, there are alternatives.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

F_B, great movie, great scene, great call..

Although I was always way more into Vanessa Redgrave...

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that in time it will. But curiosity has the better of me... if she was the one you thought you were going to spend the rest of your life with, what happened that was so bad that you broke-up with her?

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

GBNF...are you normally subject to feeling regret over things? I ask because if you do regret some of your past life decisions, you may harbor for a long time at least a tiny flicker of that flame you felt for her.

Turn it around. If that flame won't die out, at least honor it by remembering what a great time the two of you had.

8. Outing alert -- alleyallen is Hank Williams.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I saw an old gf the other day. She was my Mrs. Robinson, though not married. Still hot as fuck.

Oh, and GBNF, one of my buddies just found out that after his girlfriend broke up with him a couple of months ago, she started dating a chick. It could be worse.

10. Every now and again, 3bags, we get a glimpse into a very interesting life.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Found out an ex-girlfriend married the guy she dated before me about 10 months after had broken up.

Then again, there was evidence that they had something going on while we were together, so I couldn't really be that bitter.

And she was sort of a, uh, to be nice, weird one anyway (got jealous of the dog), which lessened the load. Still, came as a bit of a surprise when I found out.

12. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

These feelings will linger as long as you allow them to linger.

That previous relationship was just a small chapter in your life. It ended. You moved on, she moved on. It was an experience, that while perhaps a bit enriching, probably wasn't alone going to define the rest of who you are. Appreciate it for what it was and get on with life a deeper, wiser person.

Just don't end up like some loser sitting in the corner at parties with their guitar, singing an endless catalog of tunes about some lost love name Joe.

Draft saved Draft deleted