1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My editing pet peeve - what's yours?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. KoM

KoM Member

Microtek (sp?)

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lots of old-timers, myself included, do the two-space thing after periods. I still do. So jam it!

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ellipses.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

What do you mean ... ellipses to indicate missing words in a quote ... or just ellipses for the sake of ellipses ... ?

5. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Interesting. My pet peeve is the rampant urge to "correct" split verb phrases.

There's no legitimate grammatical reason to do so. Adverbs belong where they sound best, and that's often between the helping verb and the main verb. (It's especially galling to see folks remove the split where none exists. For example, switching "he is always late" to "he always is late." Late isn't a verb.)

Same idea with infinitives. Split away, baby. I'm not going to pull apart perfectly reasonable constructions to satisfy a long-dead generation of Latinists who foisted this "rule" upon us.

(No knock on you, Tom Petty. I love your work.)

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

First-ever and first annual.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ha ha. your medium is ... wait, that's right. forget it.

8. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Thank you.

9. Hey, if you guys didn't have all these mistakes to correct, what would you do all day?

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Something that bothers me, perhaps without reason, is the use of "straight" or "in a row" instead of "consecutive."

I just can't understand how the phrase "State U won its third straight game" makes any technical sense. To me, straight demonstrates some kind of linear direction of things - something that basketball games spread over seven days doesn't have. Especially with "in a row," which to me denotes that the games all took place one after another.

Oh, and not to mention that I believe it should be "third-straight game

Anyone care to explain why "straight" or "in a row" is a viable option to describe this? That way I could justify using it and not clogging up the page with so many uses of "consecutive." Or, at least, does anyone agree with me?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I have lots of editing pet peeves -- many already listed -- but the worst one is the incorrect use of "ironic" and "ironically."
    99.99 percent of the time, it's not ironic but coincidental.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

But they're not adjective modifiers.

A 1-of-9 effort makes "1-of-9" an adjective and thus, should be hyphenated.

He went 1 of 9 from the floor makes it a noun.

Draft saved Draft deleted