1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My editing pet peeve - what's yours?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fixed. :)

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

For those who are against apostrophe abuse...

http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I would like to answer this question too, and I would say I have not one answer, but at least two.

There are many errors which rear their ugly heads, and I'm always happy when I can say "they're gone."

It's always annoying when the paper doesn't have its best editors.

Oh, and leads that begin with:

"The (school) (sport) team."

That needs to be edited into somthing, you know, interesting. Just as big an "act like you f%$#ing care" issue to me as any other writing sloppiness.

General sloppiness with forgetting that "team is an IT!" should not happen beyond an individual's first few stories in college or high school, if their school has such a program.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I haven't seen this enough for it to be a pet peeve. I wouldn't have a problem with it, anyway, so long as the words that followed "The (school) (sport) team" were interesting.

5. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

When a caption is turned in that says, "Valley's Joe Jones collides with Tech's Sam Smith in the second half Saturday night." Hey, Mr. Photog, would you bother to write down who the freaking foul was on?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you're talented enough to write something interesting after "The (school) (sport) team," then you're talented enough not to use it in the first place.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Since this has the attention of attention-detailed editors:

Explain that/which and farther/further, please. Two things I have never once been able to grasp for whatever reason.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Which usually is used as a conjunction following a comma, e.g.: "Bumblefuck University, which is 21-0 at home, ..."

Farther relates to distance, further is a definition of degree.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I never have used plated. Never will. I never will use trey either.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you tell me you'll never use dime, I'm gonna propose.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What, not a big fan of dropping dimes or nailing treys? Too bad a walk-off walk couldn't have plated the winning run. :D

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't make me use the blast button on you!

Draft saved Draft deleted