1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My editing pet peeve - what's yours?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is from the AP story that is up on the Washington Post Web site:

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Stephen Curry couldn't stop jumping up and down at midcourt at the final buzzer. Little Davidson was on its way to the NCAA tournament's round of 16 after another brilliant performance by its big-time guard.

Curry scored 25 of his 30 points in the second half and Davidson staged a remarkable comeback behind their star sophomore to stun mighty Georgetown 74-70 on Sunday in the second round of the Midwest Regional.
    --

Why that chaps my ass as much as it does is beyond reasonable explanation. But it does. AP knows better and my guess is the Post just slapped it up there until it could get its own story ready.
    Or is that "their" own story ready?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought then and than was your big pet peeve.

And to answer your question: Towards. Over vs. more than also grinds my gears. As does said before source. I guess I have a lot of editing pet peeves.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I reworked this entire story. We've got no "local horse in the race" so I wanted this to be our lead story in tomorrow's paper. I used a picture from it, too.

But, like I said, I really worked over this story.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Then/than is very high on my list.
    Might be 1A.
    Irregardless is up there, too, as is towards.
    Question: I know it should be toward. Is it backward or backwards?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Backward.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was going towards Indiana, but than their basketball team was moving backwards irregardless.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Writers who don't have even the most basic grasp of AP style. Misspellings. Commas before and. Two spaces after a period. Basic grammatical errors.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We have one beat guy who CONSTANTLY puts in two spaces after a period. Thankfully, our system fixes that automatically.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) — Johnny Smith homered, but it wasn;t enough as the Big Market Bumblefucks lost 17-1 to the Kansas City Royals at Surprise Stadium Thursday.

First, there are papers in the central states that care, assholes. You don't write just for the big markets.

Second, NEVER, and I mean FUCKING NEVER put two proper nouns side by side!!!!

If you can't rewrite the sentence, use the word "on". It's a simple little word, for Chrissakes.

The guy's name isn't Joe Smith Tuesday. It's Joe Smith and whatever he did, he did it on Tuesday. Is that such a fucking difficult concept to understand!?

/end rant

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My latest among many is a poor photo caption.

There is a photo of a basketball player going up for a layup. No one else is in the frame.

"Susie Sportschick (23) of the SportsJournalists.com Tigers drives for a layup against the Rams."

Really? No shit. Anyone can see that.

Put some effort into it. Tell a reader how many points she scored in the game. Tell a reader how she broke her ankle after landing awkwardly on that layup.

Another is using "right" or "left" to indicate the only man or woman in a photo.

"Coach Johnny Nads, right, starts his 19th season with senior Susie Sportschick returning at point guard."

For crying out loud, he's the only guy in the photo. It's unnecessary unless he looks like "Pat" from Saturday Night Live.
    Don't put the obvious because you're too damn lazy to do something other than to use the bad caption provided by the AP or your photographer.

Not using "ly" is annoying, too.

"Johnny got there quick."

No, he got there quickly.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I've come to the realization that most AP photogs have, at best, a passing familiarity with their own organization's style. It makes you appreciate all the more photogs who can write a decent cutline.

Draft saved Draft deleted