1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My dog's having a nightmare. Should I wake her up?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jan 24, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

So my little pound hound, who manages to take up the entire queen-size bed even though she only weighs 35 pounds, had another dream last night.

Dreams aren't unusual. Sometimes her legs move like she's running and sometimes she even howls. I figure in those she's chasing squirrels. Happy dreams.

But last night, she had a little doggie nightmare. She barked, cried and whimpered. When I'd pet her to try to console her, she'd growl. She's been known to bite, so I kind of left it there.

It went on awhile, too. Poor thing. I finally just woke her up.

I can't even remember what you're supposed to do when people have nighmares. What do you do when your dog has a rough night?

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Re: My dog's having a nighmare. Should I wake her up?

My dog's a harmless couch potato, but growls and snarls when he dreams. I think it's best to let them be.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wake mine... gently... shake his hind quarters gently, then more until he stops...

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I have reached my hand over before but find he snaps, if for no other reason than being completely startled.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll shake the dog before moving him. He snaps when he's sleeping and abruptly moved.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's been my experience that puppies and juveniles do it a lot more than old dogs. The thing that worries me when it happens is that his limbs will twitch pretty hard. I watched a dog die of a seizure as a kid and I'm always still thinking about that.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I start patting mine on the hindquarters, after I turn on the light. That way, he wakes up and sees my hand, and I can make sure he doesn't bite. It's a little trickier now that his hearing is on the wane.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Pup's dream, no doubt:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

put her paws in warm water

Draft saved Draft deleted