1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My dog has fleas and I'm going to lose my shit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jan 3, 2014.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I will second the Comfortis. I can't stress this enough, you have to give with raw red meat. Something about the fattiness of the meat makes it work quicker. Especially if you're feeding inexpensive food, which is lots of chicken and not so much beef.

I switched to it because the vet said it would help with the dermatitis, which bothers my old girl tremendously. And also when I started with it, we lived near water and she is a retriever, and she'll fight you to go jump in something. While more expensive, I figured it was worth it never having to worry about it washing off, as it's a pill.

It does zero for ticks, but seems to kill fleas 10x better. In the summer, I use frontline, too, because it does get rid of ticks.

The main difference between the two is this, in case you care: Comfortis, gets in the bloodstream and kills the fleas when they bite. Frontline makes them sterile, so they die of old age, but they can't have babies.

BTW, right now I wish I was living somewhere warm enough to have to worry about fleas.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think you're confusing Frontline with another treatment --- Program ---- which makes the pests sterile.

Frontline does kill them.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I used to live in an area where my dog was constantly in contact with an assortment of animals (domestic and wild). So fleas were a constant battle. Advantix and Frontline didn't help, and I tried both. Comfortis was the only thing that did the trick.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Terminix came and sprayed the house on Saturday, meanwhile we took the dog to the groomer for a flea bath. No signs of fleas in the last 2 days. We keep vacuuming daily and brushing her out just in case. Fingers crossed.

We also bought Advantix and plan to give it to her later this week. Again, fingers crossed. Between vacuuming and shoveling snow, I have no free time anymore.

5. I'll never tell

You are correct sir. Could have sworn that what I was told, but then again, that discussion with the vet was had at least six years ago.

Here's a list from people who call themselves doctors and are holding a dog.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=521

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

At least the cold weather will kill any fleas hanging out in your yard.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That and the 14 inches of snow we got this past week.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I had fleas once. Got them at an Amish campground in Lancaster.

Bastards were biting me around my ankles, and I managed to get rid of them before they moved up to my crotch. Nearly lost my shit.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Amish campers were biting you around the ankles and trying to move up to your crotch?
    That sounds like pretty atypical behavior for Amish people, whether camping or not.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Comfortis quit working on my dogs, and I've been using Trifexis ever since. Takes care of fleas and parasites like heartworm, etc. Works very well -- I even skipped a month or more before I got the dogs to the vet for shots and a re-supply, and the vet found fleas that were STILL dying. Trifexis is pretty expensive, but it's been worth it.

12. I'll never tell

If it's close to the same price as I'm paying for flea and heartworm meds now, that'd be great.

Draft saved Draft deleted