1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My daughter's on Jeopardy starting Tuesday... can I brag?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by daytonadan1983, Feb 4, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They do not. (I casually know someone who was on a couple years ago.) You pay for the plane ticket, hotel, can rental, etc. Also remember: you can’t disclose results beforehand, so anyone important in your life will want to be there and they’ll pony up too.

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Ok, here was out deal...
    1) I had money set aside for Hamilton
    2) jade got employee rates at the hotel
    3) after we found out, my AD brought me into the office. "We want to show our appreciation and know you can use this in LA" The check covered the uber. He also called a former softball player living in Cali....she treated us to dinner. I also had a volleyball parent drop off food. Yes I am blessed.
    4) The other mind blower...thanks to a friend, I got Laker tickets.

It all came together.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hey, please make sure your answer is in the form of a question! :)

2muchcoffeeman and wicked like this.
  4. daytonadan1983

Six takeaways from this amazing adventure.

1) Never underestimate the pride of watching your daughter get paid to say “Balzac” on national television.

2) There’s a reddit site that puts out a daily recap that’s longer than anything my Division I basketball team has had in the local shop this year. There’s also another site that has stat breakdown better than anything statcrew can deliver. I’m both impressed and disturbed that someone determined she had a .120 attack percentage that day.

3) Deitsch RTd my column tweet. 25K impressions.

4) Never underestimate the moment of sitting in the lower bowl of the Staples Center with your kids watching your coach’s husband call LeBron for blocking when he’s dropping 42 on the Spurs. You look up to the heavens, smile and say “Yeah..Did You have as fun putting all this together as we are experiencing it?” before “Okay, what do You want?”

5) Never underestimate the joy you bring others when you do a good thing. So many people in mine, my ex and my daughter’s circles have said that.

6) I can’t wait to see what my kids do next.

On to graduation.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You guys are from Daytona Beach.
    Was there not a question about Daytona Beach?

6. daytonadan1983

Yes.
    Thing is, they pick the two challengers at random. The questions have been programmed in way before. I just think It was my guardian angel Jedi mind tricking us...

7. daytonadan1983

I am so going to Princess Bride you if I ever meet you in person

FileNotFound and typefitter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted