1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My daughter, future miss teen Idaho

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Sep 5, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

So now the kid knows her geography but has no chance of being Miss Teen Idaho ... tough trade-off.

Besides, aren't you in Utah now?

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

We'll move if she decides being Ms. Teen Anything is that important to her. Luckily, we don't think it's important to her.

What's important to her is her cell phone. Her school's website tells us her current grades in each class and the scores on each assignment. If she has a grade below a B- or a zero on any assignment, she gives us the phone until the grade goes back up.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe the official title is Miss Teen Whatever!

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Such as.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Has she improved yet? Does she know what the capital of Cleveland is?

7. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Stupid South Africa and The Iraq.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

She has a cell phone? She's 13? You are a way nicer dad than this dad.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes, she has a cell phone. She earned it through meeting various pre-required academic and household steps. I'm OK with letting her earn certain privileges through hard work. She's a good girl, just wasn't ready to name her state capitals.

It's set to be text message non-compatible so she can't spend all day sending or receiving LOLs from her BFFs. I call her once or twice a day at school to see if it's turned off and it always has been. She gets a zero on an assignment, we get the cell phone for a week. She has a grade dip to a C or lower, we get the cell phone until the grade is a B- or better.

So far, no problems. But she has been able to reach us when her ride home from the movies with a friend forgot to pick them up at 11 p.m. once this summer.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Moddy,

Where you livin? I'd say 90 percent of the 13-year-old girls in my neck of the woods have cell phones.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I was wondering where the usual clamor for pictures had gone. Based on the assumption that men in newspapers generally, if inexplicably, marry attractive women, my hopes were she would resemble her mom. Even without ever seeing her dad's rugged mug.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got my kids their cell pieces when they started driving.
    Don't they have some "simple" cell phone with like four buttons you can pre-program. Home, Mom, Dad, Someone else? That's all they can call? No texting?
    Of course they are so cheap now that I guess it is good to get them in kids' hands for safety purposes. My first plan was 100 whole minutes a month. Now I pay about 10 bucks more than I did then - for unlimited calls and text and no long distance.

Draft saved Draft deleted