1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My daughter, future miss teen Idaho

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Got a 60 out of 100 on her geography quiz. Just a simple name the states and their capitals map.

Time to break out The Rand McNally and study with her.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

"They say 60% of Americans can't find the U.S. on a map. Why do you think this is?"

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the plus side, Appalachian State has a good football program, I hear.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"I don't know what the problem is. 60 percent isn't even half."

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Make sure you point out where the Iraq is.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That should read 60% of U.S. Americans.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

BTW, I will hunt down and kill any of you who post pictures of her in her swimsuit or talk about her long legs. :D

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

As soon as it's state No.52, I'll make sure she knows where it is. Same with Canada when it 'offically' becomes state No. 51.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Have her try and stump you -- give her the atlas and have her ask you to name the capital of Romania or "five countries in South America" or something like that. She'll feel superior and learn something along the way. It worked with my kid.

He actually ended up going to a state final geography bee, but was stumped by not knowing in which country they speak Walloon.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

In a bit of self acknowledgement, I used the wrong 'capitol' in my first post -- stupid me! :-[

and good idea, fth. I always took pride in acing those geography tests. It's some of the basic info everyone should be able to handle. Granted, she's just in eighth grade and this was an intro quiz from the teacher to see where the class was before diving into the rest of the term.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She's doing better on Geography than the US is doing with the benchmarks in Iraq. I'd call it a HUGE SUCCESS!

And consider yourself blessed that you have a map.

BTW - Reporters have found no statistic, such as, that backed up the question miss teen South Carolina about people not being able to find the US America on a map. There was a stat, such as, that gave a similar percentage that couldn't find Iraq or Afghanistan, like, on a map.

such as

Draft saved Draft deleted