1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My dad - can anyone top this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The worst thing my dad ever did was tell me the truth about what I needed to do and should be doing. Who wants to hear that crap from a parent?

Oh, and after barely laying a hand on me for 15 years except maybe a rare paddling as a youngster, he kicked me down after I had been a real pain to my wonderful mother and was heading out that door against her wishes.

I sure had it coming.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And your mother shot the bird the bird.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Your dad sounds like he was a cool fucking guy. :)

4. lono

lono Active Member

Oh, he was Double J. He definitely was. An amazing man.

Tomorrow (June 3) is his birthday. I will hoist one in his honor.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've always had a complicated relationship with my dad. I spend the pre-school years of my life with him on the farm (hence my handle, farmerjerome), but once I wasn't around him all the time things changed.

He was over the line with discipline, which resulted in daddy issues and my problems with authority.

We're very close now that I'm in my 20s, but I always feel like he's never proud enough of me. Plus he's ultra-close with Dr. J and I'm jealous of that.

He's good guy, but I just wish he hadn't made the mistakes he made when I was younger, since it made such a negative impact on me. But I love him to death and I don't know what I'll do when he's gone.

6. My old man was a father in terms of providing for the family.
    When I was a kid he was a Grade-A asshole.
    When my little bro. killed himself my dad did a 180 degree turn. He had an awakening. He discovered the things in life that mattered and stopped to smell the roses. A silver lining so to speak. ....
    We are closer now than we ever were before.

I am - in terms of a dad to my kids- everything he was not. Having said that ... As I get older, the smarter he gets.

Draft saved Draft deleted