1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My dad - can anyone top this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jun 2, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed at that

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The reason I posted this (and trust me, I have 50 more of these stories) is that if something happened to him tomorrow, I don't think I'd bat an eye. And I feel guilty about that.

I see a thread here about losing a parent - I didn't even click on it - and I tried to put myself in those shoes.... what on earth would I miss about my dad?

I actually think he was a good parent. My siblings probably disagree- but he was a disciplinarian, and never wavered.

It does bother me that in 25 years of being an adult, I haven't come close to having a real relationship with him. How can you, when the volcano erupts pretty much every hour?

Sorry about your loss at 10, though.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was going to say.

Be glad you can get pissed at him, poin. Some day, you won't be able to.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

God bless your mother.

5. poindexter

My mother is a peach. They've been married 50+ plus years, and she adores this a-hole... but in the past few years, I come to wonder why she never stood up to him, and told him, "listen, you are being an asshole - cool it". If I step 1% out of line, my wife will let me know, as she should. My mom, sweet as she is, is an enabler.

They are basically friendless - and they like it that way. Family friends they had when I was growing up have been lost thru time, or from "we stopped talking to them".

This is going to become my problem in a few years, when one of them passes.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Hey, that whole "north/south" thing on 15 can get awfully confusing.

(I'm sure you wonder whether you should let your kids spend time with him; I'm not sure where I'd come down on that.)

7. Don't do this.
    I beg you.

8. poindexter

They are 14 and 15 - they know the difference between right and wrong.

Here was one more text when the kids were up in the grandparents' hotel room:
    "The smell in here is unbearable." (my parents both smoke)

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

"And Bobby can't stop laughing. Can you have some Doritos waiting for us at home?"

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, so from this story we know poin has at least one son, aged 14 or 15.

Suddenly the teacher threads make a LOT more sense. Is he on guard? Or hopeful for his kid?

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Man, I thought my dad was an asshole.

Once, when I was 8 or 9, we were driving up to the lake in my dad's Jeep Wrangler. He saw a turtle crossing the road and INTENTIONALLY swerved to hit the turtle. I had my arm hanging out the door and turtle guts covered my arm from wrist to shoulder. Of course, I freaked out, started crying. He just laughed and laughed like it was the funniest thing ever.

But you win.

12. poindexter

When I was first married, I was working crazy hours – maybe 14-hour days, with commute. My dad asked me to sell his sports car (better area to sell his car than where he lived – and I would get a cut, maybe 20% or 25% - fair deal)

My wife and I sold the car on a Monday night – maybe 8:30 or 9:00 pm. The deal was consummated, I grabbed a bite of late dinner, and plopped into bed, to get up the next morning.

I called him Tuesday afternoon, told him the car was sold, everyone was happy with the price… in the conversation, he found out that the transaction took place Monday night.

“Why didn’t you call me?”
    “It was late, I hadn’t eaten… what’s it matter?”
    “I’ve been in sales my whole life – you are supposed to let the person know IMMEDIATELY when the sale happens – what is wrong with you?”

He didn’t speak to me for four, maybe five months – because I didn’t call him right after the sale – I had called him the next afternoon.

Draft saved Draft deleted