1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My continual pet peeve: babbling copy editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Oggiedoggie, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The main reason for notes mode is so the slot can overrule a copy editor's overzealous editing and restore the writer's original. If the slot can't see what's been changed, he can't take the writer's side before it gets published.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, as if.

Then he can just bitch about the length of the story, the lateness of the story or the fact that you didn't call for any questions, even though the copy editor has your damn cell number that you put on top of the story that said to call if you need anything.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Those are all mistakes.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I get that if you're rewriting a sentence or removing a graf, but if you're correcting a typo or a style error, just delete the damn thing.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The talent?? What kind of shit is that? Most copy editors are fine writers, they just want regular hours, or in the past at least, it meant better job security.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

7. dooley_womack1

Oh no, I'm secure. Was just putting rust on an old saw.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I was just agreeing with your post. Copy editors are often the best writers at a given shop.

9. dooley_womack1

I stand corrected. Shout it across the desk.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

No need to shout much these days. The words don't have many to reach or far to carry.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

What's a copy editor? </reporter at a cheap newspaper>

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Copy editors sometimes look for things to bitch about. Having said that, the good ones can appreciate it when writers do certain things well.

When I was leaving a journalism gig at a trade publication, the copy editor there often bitched at me when I'd make mistakes, but he specifically told me he appreciated it when I'd edit stories for the weekly publication I worked on and put them in the folder for him to edit before the busy production day. I did it to save time on Fridays and he loved that and made sure I knew it.

Draft saved Draft deleted