1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My continual pet peeve: babbling copy editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Oggiedoggie, Sep 2, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm sure I did my share of it when I worked on the desk. I'm sure everyone does every now and then. You just try to keep it at a minimum. Some can, and obviously, some can't.

2. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

Unless you're a one-man desk, bitching will happen. Some people might complain all the time, but they'll eventually realize they're not perfect, either.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Fixed.

4. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

I don't know. Sometimes the bitching can help. If a writer makes the same mistake a lot and the copy editor bitches about it out loud, you get a heads up to look for it when you are graced with the writer's copy the next day.

Yes, someone should tell the writer to quit making that mistake, but that breaks down for many reasons:

1) Newsroom politics

2) Time

3) Slow learning curve

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I worked at a place once where my desk was near the news desk -- which was populated entirely by females. What a damn hen-fest THAT was.

RB

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeeeeeeeesh. Glad to see you made it out alive.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, there are the venters and then there are the ones who seek praise for all the mistakes they catch. Same barnyard, two different animals.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

But, I have Placido Polanco. When did he go 2-for-5?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To be fair, there really is no praise for catching things unless you seek it out. Yes, it's our job and a bi-weekly paycheck should be "praise" enough. And it was for 25 years. But for me, in year 26, with the whacking of newsrooms everywhere, you better be letting people know your worth to the company.

I'm a designer by job description but a copy editor at heart. If I find something egregious enough that it would warrant a correction, I don't shout it from the rooftops. But I make sure my slot knows about it. And if the slot happens to send a nightly message to the senior editors (aka the ones who decide who stays and who goes) informing them of this catch --- which happens on occasion --- then so much the better.

Wish that wasn't the environment we worked in. But I wish a lot of things that aren't true anymore.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There's a difference between bitching out a cub reporter for writing "win" instead of "victory" (as in, who gives a flying fuck about the difference now?) and pointing out a potentially serious factual error.

I used to harp on typos and minor spelling mistakes when I worked at my previous full-time gig. When my editing load got much bigger, I started only pointing out the serious mistakes.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the 50s miss you

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

My copy editors have saved my ass more than a few times.

If they want to complain about how much I suck, then, sure, I'll even pile on in a self-deprecating manner.

Draft saved Draft deleted