1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Contact Lenses and False Age Creep Signal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Mar 3, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm in my late 40s and wear daily disposable contacts. I'm nearly legally blind without them. I've always said I want to avoid those half reading glasses ("cheaters") even though I basically read all day everyday. I get checked every year and no signals of needed reading glasses.

Yesterday, things start getting blurry, mild headache, and I'm getting that signal, "you need cheaters." I say no, let's wait.

Turns out, I switched my lenses yesterday (they are same power but have some difference in one measurement) and put the correct ones in each eye and no problems today, back to normal. Yea! Good for another year or so.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just switched to daily disposable lenses, QT. I am not sure why I didn't do it sooner. The best thing is that when I got my eyes checked, he moved one eye down -0.25, so now both my eyes need the same lens. There is no getting them mixed up.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting Lasik this summer. I wore contacts while in TV, but went back to glasses after I got out, now going on 5 years.
    Either way I go, I like it...but it would be nice to wake up in the middle of the night and not need to put my face 3 inches from the clock to know what time it is.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My wife did lasik a few years ago. She loves it.

I'm in glasses for the first time at 34. Weak prescription, but able to read things better.

Problem is I don't want to wear them when I officiate. So I need either contacts or lasik. And I'm a wuss at things near my eye.

How hard was it for you guys to get over that fear?

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I did monovision for a few years; one contact for close, one contact for far.

I've been doing the transition into multifocal for the past few weeks. Started with one pair of prescriptions, then he weakened one, then he tweaked again.

Where we are now is this: Great distance vision, and I can see my computer screen great as I write this. But there's some mid-distance vision that's a bit blurry.

I asked him this last time if he could fix that, and he said, "If I do that, you lose the reading." Meaning more use of reading glasses.

No way I'm doing that, so this is going to do, and I ordered six months worth.

This screen is spectacular as I write, and seeing across the room is great. Some things in the middle a bit fuzzy. No way to get it perfect at 55, I don't think.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm used to contacts because been wearing them for about 35 years.

I like contacts over glasses because you get full peripheral vision and aside from Oakleys, no glasses ever sit right without moving (Asian nose bridge problem).

My wife had the aversion about 15 years ago and she got over it pretty easily.

I'm scared of Lasik because irrationally I think "they're my eyes!" Daily disposable contacts are no big deal, I hardly know I've got contacts on during the day.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Had LASIK a little more than five years ago; one of the best decisions of my life. Would recommend it to anybody.

8. spikechiquet

Buck: What's the average cost...like 1500 an eye for for the whole procedure?

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I wear glasses even though my eyesight is perfect, because I think that they make me look more intelligent. But, lately, I'm getting tired of the hassle of getting them fogging up, getting them bumped or trying to keep them clean. So, I'm thinking about switching to contacts.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You are thinking about switching to contacts that no one can see for your perfect vision? I'm thinking that's gotta be awesome dry humor. I started wearing contacts when I was seven years old. This involved a week of visits to the eye doctor where I had to practice putting them in. I will never forget the doctor and my mother screaming at me to "just stick it in!" (TWSS) after days and days of office visits and my refusal to insert a foreign object into my eye. Almost 30 years later, I'm pretty used to them.

11. spikechiquet

The line break of your post is unfortunate...and hilarious, CB...at least on the screen I am reading it off of.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Mine cost slightly more than that, but that's a pretty fair estimate for a reputable doctor. My place offered an installment plan, too.

I know there are billboards all over the place around here advertising $500 per eye -- but no way I'd trust those places for a procedure that serious.

As for the "fear of a laser in your eye," I got over that pretty quickly once I educated myself. The doctor and staff were phenomenal at all times. There was only one moment that freaked me out -- when my vision went black for about 20 seconds at the start, even though I was warned beforehand what was coming. But at that moment, I was way too drugged up to care. Saw myself going blind and couldn't do anything about it. Crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted