1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Christmas gift to you all

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Dec 6, 2007.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Inspired by:
    a) the 70's thread
    b) Christmas
    c) having seen "We Will Rock You" last week

I offer you this magnificent video, arguably the first music video. I remember watching this on "Midnight Special", a weekly ritual which ran from 1 AM to 2:30 AM (after The Tonight Show which was still 90 minutes long then).

A double cultural kick for all us Wayne's World fans.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That was my favorite song in elementary school.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Love the top two comments.

The re-release and its rise up the charts came right around the time I really was getting into music. Still one of my all-time favorites.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thanks HC! I forgot how much I dug the song. Now, I'm (badly) singing along with Queen and Freddy Mercury.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not the first music video; not by a long shot. The Beatles would send videos of all their singles after Revolver to the Ed Sullivan Show, to keep their presence out there despite not touring anymore.

6. HC, I hope you don't mind if I add to your wonderful gift ...

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's considered by many in the music business the first professionally produced videos.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I bought the original Live Aid concert when it was released on DVD [side note: it doesn't have the Led Zep set with Phil Collins and Jason Bonham on drums]. It had been years since I'd seen any live footage of Queen. I think I bought every Queen concert that was out on DVD at the time. Queen on Fire - Live at the Bowl is essential viewing for all those who have never seen [or possibly forgotten] what a consummate performer Freddy Mercury was.

9. Since we're sharing, here is my absolute favorite version of this song - I know, no Freddie, but it's a tribute - and the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up when you-know-who comes in at the end. Every time. Just awesome. If you've never seen it, you have to watch all the way through.

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

"What if he honks in the car?"

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm giving you a no-honk guarantee.

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Is Axl wearing a Paul Crewe jersey in that video?

Draft saved Draft deleted