1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my chanukah party....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Dec 8, 2007.

1. OK, that last part requires further explanation.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hey, I read Torah today, I'm too drained to spell the words.

Boom is fascinated by the whole Torah thing, how you get one, how much they cost, etc. I think he is planning to start a synagogue.

So far we found out they run around 30 grand, and take about a year to write. So we need to get started.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Earlier in the week was a small family gathering for Hanukkah -- my wife, my mom, and my disabled brother. Did a small pizza dinner and gift exchange, no fancy party.

Tomorrow night is the fun Hanukkah party -- aptly named "Latke and Vodka" -- at the home of one of my wife's friends. Unfortunately it's close to a two hour drive and since I'll be doing the driving I can't partake of as much vodka as I'd like.

4. EStreetJoe

I just had an alleyah today, didn't have to read torah.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At my bar mitvah, when I was reading my torah portion, I was nervous and touched the torah with my index finger even though Rabbi Brown was guiding me along with his pointer (insert joke here). Anyhoo, under his breath when I'm reading he says, "Don't ever touch the torah again, Songbird." Tried not to giggle during my reading.

6. Or, as is likely the case, a sinnogog.

7. EStreetJoe

Depending on where you get the sofer (Torah scribe) you might be able to get it done for less than 30 grand. Some of the ones in NYC might work cheaper. It would cost 30 grand or more to hire one in Israel.
    I know this because a synagogue in my town is doing a sefer torah project and the synagogue my wife works at is also doing one.

8. EStreetJoe

I got off easy at my bar mitzvah 25 years ago -- just had to read my haftorah, lead Friday night services and lead the preliminary service Saturday morning. I didn't have to read Torah or give a bar mitzvah speech.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He looks damn hot in the pink yarmulke, that's enough for me.

EStreet, you need to get with the poster (was it you?) who said his family's passover custom was 4 shots of vodka instead of the 4 glasses of wine.

10. EStreetJoe

Wasn't me who said that, but that's an interesting Passover custom.

11. lono

lono Active Member

That would be my family. And a damned fine custom it is.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sorry, all you Jews look alike. 8)

Best custom I ever heard.

I have to make a speech tonight, deciding whether to mention Peru or acknowledge that Lou slipped on a piece of lox this morning at the kiddush, and took out half a buffet table as he slid twenty feet into the kugel display.

Draft saved Draft deleted