1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My cat ran away...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrWrite, May 15, 2008.

1. In Exile

In Exile Member

Congrats!

Before we were married, my wife's can ran away. A year and a half later, I was living in the next town over - about a mile and a half away - and my wife had moved far away. She was coming up so we could travel together to a wedding. The day before she arrived I go outside and there's her cat, bedraggled, on the doorstep. I figured it must have recognized my smell.

I had to leave him there - my roomate was allergic. But when my wife got in the next day, he was still there. We had to leave, left some food, and three days later he was still there, so she took him back.

When cats decide to come back, they can usually find you.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The dude sounds like a real jerk, but a real good way to keep a real jerk acting jerky is to tell him to shut up.

3. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Glad to see the fun cat stories are still rolling on this thread. On amusing side note from my search for Charles Barkley:

An elderly neighbor, in what was no doubt an effort to be reassuring, tells me the tale of how her cat once got out in the dead of winter and was gone for three weeks -- during which time there was a blizzard. Well, he finally came home, she told me, so it was all good. Then after a dramatic pause, she looks down, looks back up and says, with a dead-serious tone ... "He was never the same."

I was like, Gee, thanks for the uplifting tale.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's true. Frozen cat isn't near as good as fresh.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sounds like it might have, indeed, visited the Pet Sematary first.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This happened to me when I was away at college, far, far from home. It crushed me. My old man wondered what happened to that cat to his dying day. She was an outdoor cat from the start, scratching at the door in the wee hours of the morning when we were leaving for school, and we always assumed she'd be home at dark. Which she was for 11 years. Then it stopped.

7. Did the cat come back, the very next day?

8. rascalface

rascalface Member

And all of these stories show the importance of having your cats chipped (or with a tag/collar), so if it does get picked up by animal control they can contact you.

Got my cat at the shelter over a year ago. She hasn't been outside on her own since I adopted her. I used to live in a third-floor apartment, and once she squirted out the door when I was coming home from work. I'm guessing she had never navigated stairs before, because she just froze at the top of them. Which allowed me to go "hey get back here!" and scoop her up. She's never tried to bolt before or since.

When I go outside for a cigarette, she'll usually follow me onto the porch. Whenever I put out a cig, she gets up and walks back inside and looks at me like, "OK, come on." Cats are funny.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear it! Congratulations MrWrite!

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Thank goodness.

Never. I just dreamt about that fat gray cat a few weeks ago. Emerald eyes. We named her Grace. We have old 8 mm home movies with her rustling through the Christmas wrapping paper, not much bigger than a shoe.

My pop always thought she left to go out to die, their terms, their way, consistent with the rest of the animal kingdom, etc. I would rather that than watch the favorite pet of my life wheeze and suffer and seek refuge and go to die under a table, dying of kidney disease, going from 12 pounds to four in a matter of six weeks, as he did before we gave up and brought him in.

I scattered parts of my dad, that cat and our other departed pets -- we had every one cremated -- at Little Round Top just June.

11. I live out in the country a little bit, so both of our cats are outside cats ... most of the time. And they're both spoiled rotten.

Our boy cat, who is all white, will leave for three or four days during the summer, and show up one day while I'm leaving for work when he hears my car start. He's usually filthy, covered with grease from sleeping under cars. He'll go inside, eat for 10 minutes, sleep for two days and do it all over again. We call him Skid because of all the grease and oil marks on him.

A couple years ago, Skid's mom decided she wanted to be an all the time inside cat when she got pregnant. After she had her kittens, we gave her to a family friend who live on the other side of the mountain behind our house about 15 miles away. Two weeks later she showed up in our driveway. Had left our friends house the day we took her there and walked back to our house. We couldn't give her up again after that.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

holy crap, that is amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted