1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My cat ran away...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrWrite, May 15, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the story had a happy ending!

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Awesome news, MrWrite. I clicked this thread expecting a major bummer, so I was pleased to get to the happy ending ... and grateful my little fella has no desire whatsoever to go outdoors. :D

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Awesome news, Write. A few years ago, my cat skipped out for a couple of days, then came back limping and with some road rash but scared straight into staying inside.

She won't come when I call her but she acknowledges her name with a meow. I'm just happy she knows that much.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Yay!
    I went through this a few years ago with my older cat on a cold week in December. He went out on the enclosed porch late one night and made himself scarce, so I closed the front door, figured he'd be scratching to get in within a few minutes. He didn't, and I went to bed, having forgotten he was out there. He must've skipped out when the paperboy came the next morning.
    Went through a hellacious week, calling the shelter and putting up signs in the neighborhood. No luck. Meanwhile, my stepson came home with a kitty his friend wasn't allowed to keep, and we reluctantly agreed to take him in (even though he was such a leaper he broke something every day the first month we had him).
    Well, about a week later, the kid heads out the front door to school, and there's the long-lost feline, looking none the worse for wear after what we feared was a week lost in the cold and snow. Somebody probably took him in, but his ungodly squeal and penchant for humping human forearms wore out his welcome elsewhere.
    We're a three-cat household now, but have managed to avoid further disaster. They've gotten out a time or two, and the young one has bolted for a few hours at a time. The little one allows itself to be picked up without a fight. The old one, though...one time it got into the neighbor's yard after the kid left a door open. It squealed like it wanted to be picked up and taken back in, but he bit, clawed and scratched up my hands pretty badly on the way into the house. Love the horny, tempermental bitch anyway.

5. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Mr. Write, just learned through the power of the Internet of your drama, glad to hear it turned out fine. Maybe Chuck was looking for size 18 sneakers in a nearby trash can. Enough code speak, maybe I'll finally get to meet Rick Mahorn's buddy in a few weeks.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good news. Now you better put that pussy on a leash.

7. Giggity

Giggity Member

Last time my cat got out was also the last time I hit somebody in the face. Well, the ear to be precise.

Had a little party a few years ago, and somehow she gets out the front door amidst all the comings and goings. Emotions run high as we look for her. Some idiot friend of my girlfriend says "I know where she is: I cooked her up and ate her." I, heroically, tell him gently to shut up. He persists, I warn, he persists, I warn, he persists, I knock him upside his motherfucking head.

He runs out the door, I follow and watch him drive off, then sit on the front porch and bury head in hands. Girlfriend comes out in tears and sits down next to me. She finally calms down, we're deciding there's nothing more to do for the night, when the cat walks around the corner of the house, looks at us like "what the fuck is all this drama about?" and calmly strolls back in through the open door. Which is why cats are awesome.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Mr.Write: Thank you! A rare happy ending... I'm very happy for you and Chuck.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Great story. :D

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Cool news, MrWrite.

There's obviously a reason they say cats have nine lives. They are the Keith Richards of the animal kingdom.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Mr. Write -- Glad to hear the Charles Barkley came home and everything is good.

My little guy is an indoor cat and for fear of him getting out and not coming back I get nervous if he tries walking out onto the deck or even into the garage.

But he gave my wife (and I) a couple of scares when we moved into our townhouse. Not running away, but funny stories of going MIA.

Moving day -- My wife goes ahead to the townhouse with the cat to get him used to the place while I stay home with the movers showing them what needs to be packed, making sure everything gets loaded, etc. At one point my wife calls and says "I need to run out to the bank to get some money to tip the movers with, he seems to be ok here, should I put him in the carrier and take him with me?" I tell her yes to make sure nothing happens to him. She decides to leave him anyway. Half an hour or so later I get a call from her and she's in tears "He's gone, I can't find him anywhere" I tell her to calm down and ask "were there any open windows?" "No" "Any open doors or crawl spaces where he could get out from?" "No" "Then calm down, he's there somewhere" "But there's no furniture for him to hide behind, where could he be?" "Calm down, and look carefully in the closets (as we had already brought clothes and some valuables over ahead of time)" A couple of minutes later she's saying "There you are, you had me so scared" (Little guy had hidden behind a milkcrate of pocketbooks she had on the floor of the closet)

Two days later -- We're unpacking and all of a sudden we realize we can't find the little guy. We look all over, no sign of him. His favorite toy makes a noise, I get it out and start playing with it and suddenly he appears out of a bedroom.

After that we decided that we need to get him a collar with his name and our number on it (incase he gets out) and a bell so we'll know where he is.

The day after we get that for him, its hot out. My wife decides to open a bedroom window (second floor, overlooks the roof above the living room) to allow a breeze. She opens the one window that's missing a screen. I walk into the room and say "Honey, you realize that you opened the window with no screen" and I look outside and calmly say "and Wonder's on the roof". She goes into a panic as I lean as far out the window as I can, having her hold my ankles, to try getting him back in. He's just walking around like nothing's wrong. I have her hand me his favorite toy and I reach out to him with that, and he comes close enough to me where I can grab him and bring him back in.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I let my cats out during the winter when it's cool (not cold) and they won't bring in fleas. The younger one enjoys the outdoor life more than the other; the older one won't go out on her own. The younger one will eventually turn up in my garage, naturally at dinnertime.

Now that it's gotten warm, the cats stay inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted