1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My cat ran away...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrWrite, May 15, 2008.

1. I've had indoor and outdoor cats my entire life, and I've had this happen a couple of times.

Some tips: if it's the cat's first time out, it probably didn't get far. It's probably hunched up beneath a bush waiting on you to come get it.

At first, restrict your search to your building and the ones next to it. Pay careful attention to the bushline around the townhouses. And don't be surprised if it doesn't come when you call. They rarely do, just keep an eye out between the bushes.

And when you do grab it expect it to claw your chest up while it tries to run away.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, don't pull it out from underneath a parked car by its left rear leg. That will NOT turn out well.

My finger has six permanent scars, and my upper lip is permanently scarred.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was that before or after your cat pissed on the laptop as you were waiting in the hospital?

*running like hell*

4. imjustagirl

I NEVER WENT TO THE HOSPITAL!

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh.

I will now serve a three-game shame suspension.

6. imjustagirl

Go sit in the bullpen and feel it.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

After having learned her lesson, IJAG uses protection these days when she needs to fetch her cat.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Mr Write, best of luck in finding the kitty. Do heed Write-brained's advice; if it's wet and rainy, odds are he's hunkered down--between bushes, under stairs or crawl spaces, etc.

Cats are pretty damn resilient characters with good survival instincts, if that offers any solace.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

MrWrite, I'm sorry for what's going on. If it helps at all, most pets don't tend to wander far away. Many of them just make their way back ... just not as quickly as those who have been with them would like.

IJAG, I'm sorry your cat story has turned into a cautionary tale.

10. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Called the local shelter -- which said it has had 15 cats since this morning -- but none of them were him (I went down and checked). So at least he's succeeded in avoiding the long arm of the law. We checked all the bushes, etc., in the area, both last night and this morning. So far no luck.

What I can't figure is how if he needed to climb onto my chest every morning at 8 a.m. (even though my girlfriend is the one who usually handles morning feedings) to wake me up to get fed, he hasn't felt the urge to hit up the food dish we've left outside all night and day.

I'd take a few IJAG-like scars if it meant him coming back.

Thanks for everyone's support. I'll keep you updated if anything changes...

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

When I was married, my wife and I had an indoor cat bolt on us. He was gone for 14 days. I had given up, figured sadly that he had gone on to the great litterbox in the sky. The next day (day 15), I heard him meowing in the front yard. He had lost a lot of weight but he was a fat ass to begin with. My wife and I were so excited, it was tough getting him back in the house. We didn't wanna spook him.

Thankfully, after that episode, he never wanted to go outside again.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry about your kitty.

I, too, would have figured he would not have gone far.

Could be he's fallen in with a neighborhood cat and is making the rounds. If so, the key word being rounds, he should turn up again before long.

A couple of our cats like to time the door opening and closing to go outside the house, but both usually commence rolling around on the sidewalk and aren't hard to corral.

Draft saved Draft deleted