1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Cat Just Died

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bagelchick, Oct 7, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn. Of all the SportsJournalists.commers to turn the room dusty, I never thought it'd be Starman.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Damn, Star.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Star, tell me this...I hope you constantly remind people who want to apply in the shop you worked in when your mom died what scum they are.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Bagel, like everyone else, I am sorry to hear about your loss. What was her name and are you thinking about getting another one in the future?

Cats are amazing animals and I would pick a cat over a dog any day of the week. Since everyone else is sharing stories, I figured I would throw in two good ones.

We have a coach around here that is notorious for just being kind of distant and not really cooperative. She coaches one of the best teams in the state and is an AD for one of the top schools in the area. One day she calls to report a score and I can hear meows in the background. 10 minutes later, I realize we have been talking about cats and I should probably take down her teams score. Since then, she has been a lot easier to deal with.

My cat, Joey, is 20 something. I don't know how old for sure. We just know he is old and has had several lives. The day we got dogs (we had six cats at the time and the parents wanted some dogs too), he moved out. He would never come inside and he would go weeks to months before showing up for a day or two then gone again. Seven years later, he showed up and hasn't left. He is still with us, six years later. He wasn't used to things around the house (a lot changed), so he would just pee whereever he wanted. So I put a litter box in the corner, and next thing you know he started using it. No teaching, no nothing. Anyway, right now, he is very fragile, if you pick him up you can feel his bones, he meows loudly all hours of the night, only eats special cat food (probably the same $20 dry food) and eats four to five cans of wet food a day. I am pretty sure he is deaf, since I was vacuuming the carpet and he wouldn't move until I nudged him with the vacuum. I just hope he isn't suffering, because he isn't showing any signs of it. I know one day he will be gone, and I know that day is soon. I just hope he waits for me. And I hope he comes up and sleeps on the bed one last time.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I didn't have to. The turnover in that joint was absolutely cataclysmic. The entire newsroom staff had about 20 people when I arrived; when I left 10 months later, at least 10 other staffers had blown through there (about half fired, about half stampeding for the exits). I looked at a copy of their staff directory about 18 months later; only 2-3 people I had worked with were still there. (No, it was not a JRC shop.) ::)

I heard they hauled Mr. Publisher out of the office with his boots on, a couple years later. If I were the cops, I would have checked the lunchroom for boxes of Skinny & Sweet. :eek: :eek:

His funeral was undoubtedly one of the gala social events of the county. I almost showed up. Would have been worth the 3-hour drive. I should have hired a strip-o-gram or an "interspecies erotica exhibit" to appear at the funeral instead. :D :D

[​IMG]

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Sorry to hear that, bagel. Growing up my dad had to take our family dog to be put down after his arthritis got so bad he couldn't get up and down the back steps anymore. They're not your pets, they're family through and through.
    I'll always remember our dog, he ALWAYS barked in the back of the pickup, for no reason other than he loved being back there, and my dad once taught him how to shake with his back paw.
    Hang in there and remember all the fun you had with her.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bagel - i can remember how hard it was when we had to put our rottie down after 12 years. she also was our first pet. it's been four years. we still don't have another pet, and we still feel sad when we see pics of her. i really don't know the point of this post ... other than to say i hope you feel better each day.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

bagel: my heart goes out to you. The first person to come into my house after I found my mom had passed away was Zach, my cat. Got him at the local APL in 1999 and he's been with me ever since. In 2002, German shepherd Rocky came from the same APL and entered to increase the family to three.

I can't imagine life without them now, and I am so thankful you and your kitty were able to comfort one another as she headed for the Rainbow Bridge SportsChick so perfectly posted.

My sincere condolences.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Bagel, I went through this last summer. It's so good you were able to be there for her in the end. I can't wait until I can have another furry friend in my life.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This makes me tear up a little every time I read it.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

put a helmet on soldier.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My deepest sympathies to you, bagelchick.

And for anyone who doesn't believe these little critters have a sense of what we're feeling, I offer you this. When I started reading this thread, and the room got really dusty (I mean, <i>really</i> dusty) my little guy immediately came and jumped in my lap, purring at full blast. I think he knew I was feeling pretty damn sentimental toward him at the moment.

I only pray he sticks around as long as your girl, bc.

Draft saved Draft deleted