1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Cat Just Died

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bagelchick, Oct 7, 2007.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I knew it was coming, but I'm so devastated. She was the first animal that I got on my own. I adopted her for the Animal Rescue League on 9/7/89 so she lived a good long life. She enjoyed a feast of chicken salad from Giant Eagle on Friday night, and last night actually came up in bed with me for a while. She had been in kidney failure for about 5 years and I had been feeding her $20 a bag prescription cat food since then.

I knew it could happen any day and was never sure what I'd find when I'd come home. Funny thing is that I think she waited until I came home from watching the Steeler game...found her on the kitchen floor barely breathing. So I got to hold her and talk to her until she died. $120.00 to cremate her.

Thanks for reading and listening.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My condolences, bagel. I'm glad you got to say goodbye to her, and she didn't have to pass alone.

My best to you.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

:'( Very very sad. Hang in there...

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, bagel.

I'm now going to sit alongside my dog on the floor and let her rest her chin on my leg...

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Boy does that suck. Very sorry for your loss.

Reminds me of my first cat, who had kidney issues at 15. One week in October 1996, she started coming into my room and hanging out on the bed and in the window. She hadn't been in my room in years.

A few days later, she took a big turn for the worse. She spent a week at the vet as we tried to stave off the impossible, but she was gone right after that. In retrospect, it was like she was coming up to say goodbye to me.

Sorry again for your loss.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've told my story about my 21-year-old darling before (also in renal failure with the super-expensive food), but these little creatures may be "just animals" to some, but to many of us they are part of the family. They weasel their way into our hearts and it's tough when they go.

My condolences, bagelchick. I'm so glad you were able to be there with your kitty when she went.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bagel, I post this every time somebody loses their critter.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry about your loss, bagelchick. It is good you could be with her at the end.

My mother's dog (mine, too, but mostly hers) went that way. She had been at the vet in bad shape for three days. Came home and curled up next to my mother and was gone shortly after that. I remember thinking that she was always happiest when she was with her favorite person and I'm sure your cat felt the same way.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've never had pets, Bagel, but I'm still sorry for your loss.

My step-grandmother and one of my uncles are big pet types, and cared for theirs the way you did yours. I enjoyed hanging out with the pets growing up, and they usually reciprocated many times over.

At least you got to be there at the very end. Take care ...

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I truly feel your pain, bagel. It's devastating to lose a member of your family, whether human or animal. If you have any other pets, give them a big, long hug. If not ... there are plenty who need a home.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I feel for you, bagel.

Mine took a nap on me for a few hours this afternoon, and as silly and stupid as he can be, I don't know what I'll do when I lose him...

My condolences.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

My younger cat just jumped into this chair and is sprawled out, purring and perched under my elbow, as I type.

I echo Zeke, and wonder why cats can't be immortal.

Draft saved Draft deleted