1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Boys -- The Nightmare Continues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That was awesome.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

Wasn't he a columnist? Maybe he's just TV Land's version of Mariotti.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I wonder how many threads there are on secretagents.com about how unrealistic 24 is. . .

Honestly, this show disappoints me too, just because unlike some other unrealistic shows where the main character is a sportswriter, that fact is the crux of this show. [The Odd Couple, which I liked, didn't totally revolve around Oscar's occupation, nor did Everybody Loves Raymond, which I didn't like.]

But the main character being a female sportswriter is the 'hook' to this show, and I can't help thinking it might be more interesting and funnier if it bore a little more resemblance to reality. As we all know, comedy and drama occur in press boxes quite often.

4. T2

T2 Member

Actually, I think the hook is that the main character is a female who spends a lot of time in the company of men. Making her a sportswriter was just a convenient way to explain that situation. They could just as well have made her the only woman in the firehouse, and the show would still be basically the same.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Actually, that show stars Jenna Jameson.

(I'm not kidding)

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I can't get past Gaffigan. Can't stand him. Otherwise, I saw the first five minutes of the first show last season. Wasn't interested.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fabulous comedian. Horrendous actor...

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Agreed. I've interviewed Gaffigan, real nice guy, and he's great live. But his acting just doesn't work somehow.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I liked Gaffigan in his turns on the much-missed "Ed".

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

My favorite Gaffigan bit: "Has enyone ever eaten a Hot Pocket and then afterward thought, 'You know, I'm glad I ate that'?"

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At least this show has shown the actress in a locker room... Everybody Loves Raymond actually had an episode where he was getting satellite TV so he could do everything from home...

Granted, the show also had him returning from road trips a lot, but I must admit, I was pretty agitated when they did that satellite TV show.

What would make My Boys more realistic, if they showed her having trouble filing her gamer?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What a blatant sell job, coming up with some schtick to toss in SI and cross promote in the Time Warner family.

Draft saved Draft deleted