1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Boys - P.J. goes to work!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, May 29, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Peter Boyle was fucking awesome. This cannot be argued.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm trying to figure out what irritated me most about the episode. That supposed reporters would sit in the stands and CHEER ("C'mon Owen! Let's go Owen!")

Or, at the very end, when they finally get back to Chicago (before spring training is over, btw), she gets a card from the old crotchety reporter congratulating her on the column and informing her that "Owen made the team." If these PJ and her boyfriend are any kind of reporters, shouldn't they already know this?

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

For what sports writers make, don't you think producers would spring the $50 and footlong sub to get one on the set as a 'consultant'?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Eh, the show isn't about her being a sports writer. It's just a crutch to make her tomboyish.

Mike and Kenny make me chuckle sometimes. As does Jim Gaffigan.

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Haven't any of you ever had a day off and gone to see the team you covered in the stands?

That was the whole idea. She wasn't supposed to be working, but while sitting in the stands as a fan, she found her column.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Have her own a fucking sports bar then.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Then sports bar owners would be bitching about how unrealistic the show is. There are a lot more sports bar owners than sports writers, and they can offer free drinks.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

There's the reason I watch the show. He's the most likable character out of the whole bunch.

Oh, and Brendan's pretty hot too. That's another good reason.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Honestly, no. But that's not the point. There's nothing wrong with catching a game from the stands. There is something COMPLETELY wrong with standing up and cheering.

That said, yes, I get it. It's a television show. I'm sure Taxi didn't accurately reflect the lives of taxicab drivers. I'm sure Wings didn't always accurately reflect the lives of pilots. The A-Team probably didn't always accurately reflect the lives of outcast mercenaries.

It's just a little horrifying to me that people think this is what we do.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not even talking about anything from this season ... I'm talking about the early episodes, like how on Opening Day, P.J., the Cubs beat writer, was in a sports bar wearing a Cubs jersey watching the game on TV. Or how P.J. needed some sort of intermediary to set up a basic interview with a player before a game one time. It would behoove the writers to at least do a little research about the profession. That's all.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Or how her and her fellow beat writers were mingling around in the clubhouse after the game, then left for a bar as soon as the players came in.

12. Perhaps the show is set in the future, when the major Chicago newspaper is a weekly.

Draft saved Draft deleted