1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My book - The Making of Slap Shot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, May 12, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I want an autographed copy...

What's Michael Ontkean's address? :)

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I have a quibble with the subtitle: "Greatest Hockey Movie Ever Made."

Seriously? We all know that title belongs to D2: Mighty Ducks.

I actually think it's the best sports movie ever made. Period.

I'd be interested to see if you got Jerry Houser to talk. The man makes bank doing voiceovers. I swear to God he's auditioned for every radio spot I've ever done.

Congrats, btw. I can't wait to pick up my own copy...

(and Dixiehack's comment has to be one of the funniest inside jokes I've ever read on this board)

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I did in fact talk with Jerry Houser. There are very few major cast members whom I did not interview, mainly because I could not track them down - Lindsay Crouse (Lily Braden), Melinda Dillon (Suzanne "She's a Lesbian!" Hanrahan), Yvan Ponton (Jean-Guy "Frog Pussy" Drouin) and Matthew Cowles (Charlie the trainer who was encouraged to put some fucking Downy in the jerseys).

And that was indeed a very funny inside joke. Well done. :)

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Apparently Dillon is an intensely private person.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I gathered that. I couldn't even determine her current representation (agent, manager, whoever). Oh well, I tried.

I'm happiest about two things. First, I was told in advance by a friend that there were two cast members in particular who did not care for their association with the film, so I shouldn't even bother to try to reach them. I got them both without too much trouble and they were both happy to talk....one so much so that he invited me to his LA-area home when I was in town, an invitation I was thrilled to accept.

The second of those two cast members has since passed away, one of four people I interviewed who are now deceased. While it was sad to mark their deaths, I'm so glad I was able to be in contact with them while they were alive, because the stories they shared with me may well have died with them under different circumstances. The book is dedicated to the memories of those four people, along with those of Strother Martin and director George Roy Hill, both of whom died many years ago.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Slight correction .. it was Gare's "The Nights the Lights Went Out". :)

And JJ ... couldn't be happier for you! I'll buy a copy and one for my drunken brother! :D

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Mark me down for a copy as well. I know my wife would eat it up.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Awesome, thanks everybody!!

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Hell, I live in Biloxi and never got offered ... [/ethicsoutdawindow]

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I totally don't want to be one of those authors who lives and dies by the lists and charts (which I know will be next to impossible for a reformed Billboard magazine junkie), but the book is No. 6 on an Amazon.ca list of Hot New Releases in Hockey. Just saying. :)

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/new-releases/books/959538

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just bubbling under the top 5, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted