1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Bona Fide Attempt At Getting Out. Advice, Please?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 31, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Quick question.

There are eight one-hour interview slots available. I assume there are eight candidates. Perhaps I'm wrong.

But, I've been asked to select my interview slot on a first-come-first-served basis.

Do I pick the first? Do I pick the last? Or somewhere in the middle?

If this is a test, I'd think the middle might look "too safe."

If it's not a test, I think picking last might be best — I'm confident enough to think I'd leave an impression and surpass a lot of candidates before me (I was told by the outgoing person, the one quitting the job, she expects a lot of "recent grads" to apply — so, assuming some did, and made the cut, I think I can "out-interview" them).

Or, do I pick the first slot and risk setting the bar too low and having people do better than me? Or, at the very least, be so far in the rear view mirror after seven others, those doing the hiring forget the first interview.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would choose second.

They are still fresh and if you beat the shit out of the first person you will be remembered.

No way would I choose to go after lunch.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Devil.

It's over two days. Five the first day, three the second.

I forgot to mention that.

I'm leaning toward second to last on the second day.

I also can't fathom them having eight candidates to interview over eight hours — and expecting to make their decision and have them start on July 5.

But, I could be wrong.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

are you overanalyzing this a little bit?
    Just go in and sell yourself. If you make a good impression, I'm not sure it matters if you interview first or last.

5. Pete Incaviglia

I agree with that 2under.

I probably am overanalyzing it. I usually do. But, it can't hurt when I'm trying to get the job I want — and trying to get off this sinking ship that is my current employer.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

You definitely want to be either first or last, or as close to first or last as you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_position_effect

I'd go first. That way they're less likely to confuse what you said or did, your qualifications, etc, with someone else they interviewed if their notes aren't that good. You get in their first and do well and they will be comparing every other one to you. The only thing if you go first is that you really need to knock their socks off so you will stick in their minds.

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

1. You're not a shoo-in if eight people are getting interviewed.

2. Pick a time that doesn't conflict with your work/sleep schedule.

3. Walk in confident. Answer questions thoroughly.

4. Hope for the best.

5. If you get the job, great. If you don't, shrug your shoulders and move on.

It's all you can do.

Also, save all this agonizing for your fantasy football drafts when it might actually do some good.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I like interviewing when I already have a job. It helps my confidence and I think I can make a better impression on how I can better the company, and not just I need a paycheck.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'd pick last or second to last. By the time they get there, they've forgotten the first.

10. Pete Incaviglia

I have asked for second-to-last. It works best with my commute to the interview. As for my current job, I'll need the morning off. Not sure I'm going to swing that, yet. But I'll come up with something.

Podunk, I'm not sure there are eight being interviewed. Eight one-hour interviews, in succession and over the course of two days and through lunch each day seem strange to me. But, who knows? Who cares?

I fully plan on doing points two through five on your list. Especially since I'm waiting on yet another job I applied for.......

11. With only three on the second day, I'd go for first or second on that second day.

I've been on both ends, and I find as an interviewer, my questions change or are modified based on the answers of the first few interviews.

But by the fifth interview in one day, I'm spent. It all starts to sound the same.

I think going in on the second day is a huge advantage - interviewer has had a chance to digest previous interviews, gain better perspective on the quality of applicants, so someone with credentials can really shine.

Good luck

12. Same thing with sex. Isn't that a bitch!

Draft saved Draft deleted