1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

my blog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gatorsportsnation, Aug 25, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I read the complete breakdown for the Florida-Hawaii game, as well as the volleyball and soccer previews, and the Olympic swimming summary. I think its fair to say that unless this blog starts showing tits, and lots of them, it may go down as the worst blog ever. Plain and simple.

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

Thinly-veiled attempt to increase blog traffic.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Gators have tits?

I thought they just had a rough hide, claws and big teeth.

4. theprofessional

theprofessional New Member

This is the best one so far...

http://gatorsportsnation.com/more-then-just-sports/

This blog HAS to be a joke, right?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, he says the key to winning is scoring, so he's got that nailed down.

6. poindexter

Flat out awesome, plain and simple

More then just sports
    August 1, 2008 10:20 am

The University Of Florida is known for two things. Championships education. And championship sport’s programs. While education is the main focus at the university; athletics isn’t far behind. And with great reason too. Whether it is football, basketball, softball, swimming, or volleyball; The University of Florida has vastly become a haven for student athletes to garner championships and accolades. Both on and of the field.

While the actions of the teams on the field and court are widely publicized, for obvious reasons, it is off the field and court where The Gators really like to shine. Most notably at the children’s hospital. Where the student athletes truly become champions. Week after week throughout the year different Gator sports teams take time to go and visit sick children and their families at Shands Children Hospital week after week you see the faces of children light up as their favorite team’s players come to visit them. Whether it be the most famous of Gator athletes such as Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin to the much lesser know athletes such as Lady Gator Tennis players Julia Cohen and Megan Alexander; the smiles always seem to be the same. And that is the goal. To brighten a child’s day with social interaction that doesn’t involve the words medicine or shot. To take a child’s mind off of nurses and doctor’s.

Even though these student athletes are extremely busy, they realize that it doesn’t take long to make a sick child and their family feel better. To make themselves feel better. Because even if it only lasts two minutes its great to know that it means the world to a sick child and his/her family to see that their favorite players from their favorite team aren’t to busy to come out and show support for them just like the children and their families show support for The Gators each and every time they step out onto the field or court. While it might take a trophy to declare you a champion; at The University of Florida it takes more then just sports.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I just read that ... thing. And whatever it is in my head that allows me to edit copy broke about a third of the way through.

I'm thinking about filing a lawsuit.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, in the event that this is real ... here are my editing suggestions:

More than just sports
    August 1, 2008 10:20 am

The University Of Florida is known for two things. Championships education. And championship sport’s programs. While education is the main focus at the university; athletics isn’t far behind. And with great reason too. Whether it is football, basketball, softball, swimming, or volleyball; The University of Florida has vastly become a haven for student athletes to garner championships and accolades. Both on and of the field.

While the actions of the teams on the field and court are widely publicized, for obvious reasons, it is off the field and court where The Gators really like to shine. Most notably at the children’s hospital. Where the student athletes truly become champions. Week after week throughout the year different Gator sports teams take time to go and visit sick children and their families at Shands Children Hospital week after week you see the faces of children light up as their favorite team’s players come to visit them. Whether it be the most famous of Gator athletes such as Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin to the much lesser know athletes such as Lady Gator Tennis players Julia Cohen and Megan Alexander; the smiles always seem to be the same. And that is the goal. To brighten a child’s day with social interaction that doesn’t involve the words medicine or shot. To take a child’s mind off of nurses and doctor’s.

Even though these student athletes are extremely busy, they realize that it doesn’t take long to make a sick child and their family feel better. To make themselves feel better. Because even if it only lasts two minutes its great to know that it means the world to a sick child and his/her family to see that their favorite players from their favorite team aren’t to busy to come out and show support for them just like the children and their families show support for The Gators each and every time they step out onto the field or court. While it might take a trophy to declare you a champion; at The University of Florida it takes more then just sports.

9. poindexter

It almost makes me wish I was a kid with cancer, just to be able to experience a few minutes with these Gator athletes.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I love the fact you took the time to do that, then left "Of" capitalized. :D

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Best debut since Pickle Juice?

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

As I said in the previous post, my copy editor doohickey is broken. There's no telling what might happen the next time I try to edit a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted