1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Blog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 2, 2007.

1. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

You just said aloud what most sports junkies were thinking. But no-one is ready to make any humour near the Mike Vick topic.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Honestly, the Dog Appreciation Day line made me laugh... but I had already cringed at "freed from his leash," which was near the top and to me set an unnecessarily flippant tone that didn't match the rest of the article.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I thought it addressed a serious issue with the informal nature of a blog, and I think you did your job well to address it and even to go as far as posing the question with a CFL executive or two. I'm not certain some people can tell the difference between a blog and a news story... but that's not surprising.

I have to agree with some of the comments about the animal lobby too. Someone made the comment that Vick might have been more accepted had he been a rapist (or something along those lines) elsewhere on this board and you do wonder. Football has had accused murderers, the Saskatchewan Roughriders had that bizarre Trevis Smith AIDS scandal, drug issues, you name it... but I don't think any of them has garnered the same amount of publicity or public outrage - which is sad to me.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Your honour, I enter into evidence Lawrence Phillips. And the prosecution rests.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It would be a very whorish thing for the CFL to do.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I see DEB's point about the title of Elliotte's blog entry, but I don't think that was to upset the rest of the CFL as much as it was a reference to the Ricky Williams Experiment in Toronto, combined with the fact that the Argos are still evaluating at their QB situation.

Elliotte, you've already acknowledged that the Dog Appreciation Day joke might have upset some people. But given the nature of media in general - and especially blogs - people are going to say something regardless of tone. Pile on that this is about Michael Vick and dogfighting and that's pretty much gasoline fumes and fire.

Buck-Dub's comment about tone was spot-on, but Sxy's addition is pretty much what I'm echoing. No problems, EF.

Draft saved Draft deleted