1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My beef with turkey day this year.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tjbball54, Nov 23, 2007.

1. tjbball54

tjbball54 New Member

I know this is a day to be thankful for all that we have, but to be honest I would have rather spent the day alone thanking God for football and actually enjoying the games. This year one of my brothers decided to have everybody over at his house. Well I guess there is a new tradition, and one I could do without. His in-laws have now made it to the past 3 years of Thanksgiving. I usually welcome anyone, but they make things very uncomfortable and his mother-in-law is just plain evil! On top of all of these strangers making me feel uncomfortable, I go to do the one thing other than stuff my face with turkey and watch the games and what do I find out? No sound? What? Are you serious? Can I get a man law? No pansy Christmas music playing while the football game is muted, or even no muting the game period! Next year I am eating as much as I can, watching the games (with sound and no interuptions), knocking back a few cold ones, and then lots of sleep.

Am I wrong here? Let me know how you feel and share your beef with Turkey Day this year.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I enjoy spending time with my family. I don't get to see them very often, so I'm not appalled when the TV goes off.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

We had sound on the TV. It's just that the TV we were watching was in my dad's hospital room. If your biggest problem yesterday was no sound on the TV, be thankful.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Thanks to an 11-month-old, I watched the Teletubbies through dinner. But once that was over, we switched over to the Green Bay-Detroit game, the the Cowboys-Jets massacre before our departure at halftime.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Amen.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: being alone on Thanksgiving with football: Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. And find out it's not all it's cracked up to be.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Was with family all day yesterday, including two-month-old twins and no TV and didn't miss it at all.

8. tjbball54

tjbball54 New Member

Well I don't feel like I was able to spend it with MY family. One of my other brothers boycotted the whole thing and went elsewhere, and because of that I did not get to see my nephews and niece. I don't mean to come off like the Thanksgiving Scrooge, because I do love getting together with the family and do realize there is a lot to be thankful for. It really wasn't the sound that upset me, although I do enjoy hearing the game. I think it was the company, which was not family. Most of them are evil and very stuck up trying to out do one another. Maybe it's just me then....bah humbug (sp?) lol. Happy holidays to all anyway.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

TJ, if you want things done on your terms, you should suggest hosting Thanksgiving next year.

That way you can belch, drink, snore and channel-surf as you like.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And fart.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Your siblings' spouses and related types are your family. Suck it up and use the rewind button later.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes.

My beef? I had to leave my in-law's house shortly after the meal and drive 3 hours to go to work.

Draft saved Draft deleted