1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My APR just got increased by 270 percent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 21, 2010.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Simon makes a good, important point here, and one that was not always as true or impacting to the extent that it is now.

The problem is that a lot more people are falling onto the side of being bad credit risks, and not just because they are wantonly being irresponsible, at least not in the way most people looking down on them as such would see it.

Many people would not have been considered poor risks even as little as two years ago. They may have even had the same sort of pristine credit record that Birdscribe and others proclaim to have now. But things can change. Things have changed.

All it takes is losing one's job or being under-employed for long-term stretches for people who once were good at managing their cards to turn into people unable to do it very well.

Money makes the world go round. You simply have to have it, to a livable extent, in order to, um, live. If you don't, what are you going to do, whether you want to, or not, and whether it is prudent, or not?

You are going to turn to your credit cards, and start using them when you previously wouldn't have done so. Without money, credit is your only option short of emptying out your retirement funds, selling your home or declaring bankruptcy.

And there are plenty of people already doing all of those things, too, all in an effort to pay off credit cards, or try not to run them up any further.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, really.
    There are lots of banks with stock prices still in the single-digit range and still losing money. They can't be in either position forever. Ragu could not be more correct about his analysis of this. Congress went after the banks when they were bleeding on the floor and fired a few more shots into a body fighting for life.
    Nice work, folks.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If the only way that banks can stay in business is by screwing over their customers, then they don't deserve to stay in business.

I understand the need and desire to make profits. But when the top people are making millions at a bank thanks to charging me more for purchases I've already made, taking money out of my pocket, my sympathy for the banks goes kaput.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This is the most insane circle jerk I've heard in a while.

Banks: "We NEEEEEEEED those high-risk people because they'll pay only 4 percent a month at 27% and give us a steady income stream."

Banks: "We're losing billions because of high-risk people defaulting."

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Numerous new applications hurts your credit rating, not having numerous cards. They're mostly interested in how much credit you have and the percentage of it you use. If the percentage is low, you're good. Canceling a card lowers your available credit and, presumably, raises the percentage you're utilizing, plus it potentially shortens your credit history.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I get at least one credit card offer a day. Sometimes American Express, sometimes Discover. Last week I got one from Harris Bank and handful from Citibank.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

See, my plan is foolproof. I'm not going to outlive my debt. And if it gets to the nitty-gritty ... I am not going to outlive my debt.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Glad I clicked on this thread. Immediately went to my two credit cards. One has stayed the same but the other jumped from 7.9 to 17.9. I'm really glad (lucky i had the money) I completely paid off both in the past two months.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Here are the new laws:

1. Banks can't change the interest rate on money ALREADY borrowed unless there is a variable interest rate or there was an introductory "teaser" rate (which must be disclosed).

2. You can no longer exceed your limit and then be charged a penalty. Instead, cards are declined. Also, you can't be charged a fee because of the way you pay your bill (i.e. by phone, internet, etc.)

3. Payments over the minimum must have the excess applied to the balances with the highest interest rate. Due dates must be the same every month. And no more "double-cycle" billing.

4. Customers must be notified at least 45 days in advance of any rate changes. Terms, charges and payoffs must be clearly explained. And dates the payments must be received by to avoid penalties must be clear.

That's it. Companies can still charge a wide range of penalties, can still raise and lower rates, can still arbitrarily lower limits or completely cut the card off with no warning, can still apply the minimum payment to the balance with the lowest interest rate and can still apply whatever the hell rate they want.

No idea how anyone could look at these rules and think they're unfair.

Just because you used to be able to do shady things and make money off of it, it doesn't make it right. I wonder how much car companies could make if they didn't have to install seat belts or meet other safety standards?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

By the way. ... I got a letter from Citibank about a card I have had since 1989 (college) saying they are imposing an annual $60 fee unless I start charging $2400 a year on it. They are trying to get rid of people who have cards and don't use them. I just called, though, and the customer service representative couldn't waive the fee or transfer my account to a different card with no fee, but he did some creative crediting for things (I honestly have no clue what he was doing) that got me a $64 credit on my next bill to offset the annual fee this year. If you have to deal with anything like that, I'd suggest trying that route. I just told him I didn't want to get rid of a card I have had for 21 years, but would, and that was the only solution he could come up with. I'll reevaluate next year and see if I can get someone to do something similar if it comes down to the fee. It's backward ass, but worth a try.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No shit. The C/C companies are out for blood.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Right-on.

Draft saved Draft deleted