1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My apologies and goodbye for now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For some time now I've been an asshole to some of you.

It's not the person I want to be but apparently it's who I am.

I'm sorry to all of you, especially Regan, Jr. Dixie Hack and PC Load letter.

I'm going to step away for a while, maybe for good.

Best wishes to everyone.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did the moderators order this?

3. Smallpotatoes

No.

Bye.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Not sure how old you are; maybe you're even older than me (late 50's) but I've learned that everyone has their opinions and viewpoints, all I can do is offer things for them to consider. Persuading people to admit they are wrong and have changed is extremely difficult and rare, so I set my expectations very low in whether what I say will impact others.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd rather have you on sharing than leaving; no one has to agree with you. Even if someone takes a personal attack on you (I hope I've never done that to you (or anyone else)), its meaningless, we're all keyboard warriors. I hope you reconsider.

5. Smallpotatoes

Thank you. I still going to take a break. When someone whom I generally get along with and respect has had it with me, it's time to walk away and really think about some things.

Liut likes this.
  6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I would not let @Regan MacNeil “chase” you off. He has been unkind to me, as well, at times, even as I have repeatedly reached out in friendship. My approach is to simply “jest” with him cordially, and hope he will someday see the error of his ways and become a gentler person.

You will be missed, my friend!

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This is not an airport.
    No need to announce when you're arriving or leaving.
    Bye.

8. Smallpotatoes

But I do owe people an apology.

9. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Stop trolling, dudes.

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Just stick around and give it back twice as hard as you get.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't think you should leave. It'll be the board's loss if you do.

Whenever something like this happens, it's seems to often include something by the poster along the lines of how they don't like what they see in themselves, and so it must be time to go. But, in my opinion, people leaving is usually more a reflection of the board than what's wrong with the poster.

Everyone has things to contribute, and those different perspectives are what make this place interesting, lively -- worthwhile, despite its/our faults. If you're not always the best version of yourself, well, there's nobody who always is. And you can always just use the "ignore" button, or not respond to a post, or turn off the computer for a while, or take a few days off, or share less or yourself so that you're automatically less of a target, etc. You don't need to leave.

Take it from someone whom I know some here see as a Bible-thumping, homophobic, pedophile-loving racist, because I've been called all of those things, on here: You don't need to leave.

You just need to know, yourself, who you are and how you are, and stick to your principles, respecting them, and being genuine, and being open enough to others' thoughts that you can have and hold a discussion. You know, because it's a message board, and that's what it's for.

Tarheel316 and Liut like this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, you guys have certainly become ... uh ... introspective regarding your message-board proclivities.

BurnsWhenIPee and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted