1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My accountant is a genius!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by da man, Apr 10, 2007.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

So I waited until the last minute to do my taxes this year because 2006 was my first (and last) full year of working only as a freelancer and I was certain I would have to write a big check to the IRS. I mean, I had zero withholding and a gigantic self-employment tax looming. Just thinking about it made me depressed.

I set up an appointment with the guy who has done my taxes the past couple of years, but I went through it on my own just to get an idea of what I was looking at, and came up with a fairly sizable payment due (though not as much as I had feared).

I walked into his office still dreading what was coming. But after we waded through all my 1099s and check stubs and receipts and mileage numbers, not only did I not have to pay anything -- I'm getting a refund! I'm not sure how that works -- something to do with the child tax credit and the earned income credit (I love you, kids!) -- but somehow I'm getting money back. The guy charged me $100, and that was a huge bargain.

Unless, of course, I wind up in prison for tax evasion.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When the Feds come for you can I have your car?

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

you paid nothing in, but you're getting money back?

Hope you like the "fuck-you-in-the-ass" prison

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The EIC means that Da Man is getting money from ... all of us who are paying taxes this year.

You're welcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted