1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My 2 years old boy refuses to toilet train!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by andrews_mom, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Start showing them the potty videos. Huggies has a free one on their website and there is one called "Go Potty Go" that my kids responded to.

From an adult's standpoint, the videos seem ridiculous, but we showed the video to my oldest when he was about 1 1/2 and he immediately wanted to use the toilet and is about 95 percent toilet trained a year later. He has about two accidents a week now.

Ditch the diapers completely. Hopefully your kid is in pull-ups, if not, start there and then go from training pants to regular underwear. They may resist for a week or so, but they'll get used to them when they know it's their only option.

Best of luck.

2. Mizzougrad96

Nothing is unorthodox. If it works, do it.

We bought a ladder/toilet seat that folds up. We have one in all four bathrooms and whenever he needs to go, he puts it on the toilet and then climbs up. They tend to get pissed (pun intended) if you just hold them over the toilet.

3. Mizzougrad96

The worst part of the portable potties is that you have to clean them, rather than just flush. But if it works, by all means...

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's amazing with kids and toilet training. you spend months getting frustrated because they struggle, and then one day, bam, they're all but finished with the training. We had a kid in our daycare that wasn't toilet trained until a couple months ago, and he's almost 4. Then it was like a light switch came on.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Bingo. Poor Mikey.

6. Brian Griffin: I don't know. I guess taking care of this old woman will be just like babysitting, only with bigger diapers.

Stewie Griffin: Aha! So they *do* make bigger diapers! That deceitful woman told me I'd have to learn to use the toilet! Well, fie on the toilet! It's made slaves of you all! I've seen it sitting in there, lazy, slothful, porcelain layabout feeding on other people's doo-doos while contributing nothing of its own to society!
    [runs to toilet]

Stewie Griffin: [shouts] You get a job!

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When we were raising our infant son, one of the first things we discovered is that the diapers labeled "18 to 20 pounds" don't hold nearly that much.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Pull him out, very quickly.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's one of my favorite scenes.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I didn't think you've been potty-trained.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Parents get too worried about stuff like this (probably because another parent has to brag about their child - ooh, little Jimmy was toiled trained at 1 1/2). Kids are ready when their ready (I have two sons, took varying times but both are older now and all that stuff is way in the past). My mother-in-law might have said it best: No kid goes to high school in diapers (at least none that I know about ;)). It'll get done; don't fret it.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Gawd, this makes me glad I don't have to deal with that crap (literally and figuratively) again.

But yeah, a kid will eventually get it. Pressuring him/her is not the way to go, in my experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted