1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MVPs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Reinforces the idea of being Most VALUABLE, too.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Morosi brought this up the other day, too. This logic presumes that Cabrera's switch freed up a spot for Fielder to get more at-bats. But Fielder was always going to play, so it really didn't matter if Cabrera moved to third or DH because both of them were going to be in the lineup regardless.

Cabrera was originally offered a chance to DH full-time, and he declined. His move to third meant Delmon Young became the DH instead of the starting left fielder. (It also meant Brandon Inge was expendable.) After all the shuffling was done, Cabrera's switch actually freed up a spot for Andy Dirks or Quintin Berry to get more at-bats as the primary left fielder. That's not a whole lot of extra offense.

If Cabrera had done what the team had asked, the Tigers would have had this lineup:

1B Fielder
    DH Cabrera
    3B Inge
    LF Young

But because Cabrera made the switch, they ended up with this lineup:

1B Fielder
    DH Young
    3B Cabrera
    LF Dirks/Berry

The infield defense is provably, demonstrably worse (though the outfield defense is better without Young there), and the offense isn't a whole lot better than it would have been in the first place (assuming Inge stays on the team and/or stays healthy, which isn't a given.)

So you're really looking at Inge vs. Dirks/Berry. Did that improve the team or ... did it make the Tigers worse? Should Cabrera get credit for that? Is there any credit to be given?

I sure don't think it's obvious that Cabrera's switch helped the team, overall. And I think a case could be made that it actually made the Tigers worse. Doesn't help his MVP case, that's for sure.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Andy Dirks has been exceptional this year. He's easily the team's fourth-best hitter.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Who wants to be a DH when you're in your prime?

[ "Don't fuck with happy." -- Elliotte. ]

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Also, isn't Delmon Young a lousy defensive outfielder?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

buckweaver mentioned that.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bring back Larry Herndon!

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Whither Bobby Higginson?

9. outofplace

Ah, I missed it. So he did.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Shame he's not clean.

11. outofplace

Shame you say that about everybody who dares to be good for an NL Central team other than the Cubs.

12. printit

printit Member

Good point. In the rush to make my bigger point I left a couple of huge holes in the smaller one. If someone is the best offensive player, they should not lose to someone who was an inferior offensive player just because the inferior offensive player's team made the postseason. If inferior offensive player made up for the gap with his defense, fine.
    And, while I agree that there are technically scenarios where the triple crown winner is not the best offensive player, I don't see that this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted