1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MVPs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Locked up through 2020. Sorry Manky. Not this time.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Did someone say steak?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Doesn't mean you're not agreeing with Manky.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

File Manky under: A broken clock is right twice a day.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

This would have been a great debate. Why the hell did we let Manky ruin it? He seriously shouldnt be allowed to start threads that actually could be good sports topics.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

He didn't ruin it.
    His trolls did.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

OK, let's have the debate. There are two AL MVP candidates: Mike Trout and Miguel Cabrera. If you think WAR is a great tool for measuring overall player value, please step to the left. If you don't, please step to the right.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stepping to the right.

And that is the right approach. Forget Manky's ridiculous crap and actually have the debate.

I think Cabrera wins it if the Tigers make the playoffs and the Angels don't or if he wins the triple crown. Otherwise, I believe it goes to Trout.

The one thing I would argue in Cabrera's favor is that he is having a much stronger finish to his season than Trout.

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

The MVP does not break up a season into segments.
    It makes no distinction.
    So who gives a SHIT how he began, middled or finished.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are entitled to your opinion, but such things are taken into consideration whether you like it or not. It's also a good reason for voters to wait as long as possible to send in their ballots. Cabrera has closed the gap between the two of them considerably over the past month and could continue to do so.

One thing that people tend to count in Trout's favor that should actually be a positive for Cabrera. Trout spent most of the first month of the season in the minors while Cabrera was in the big leagues helping his team. I know it isn't Trout's fault, but it still shouldn't help his cause to miss a big chunk of the season.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Tonight, Trout was 2 for 3, walk, 2 runs, double, HR.
    Angels win, 6-2, over Chisox. A's give them a ray of hope by losing to the New York Mankys ... I mean, Yankees.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks a big finish isn't valued shouldn't be talking sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted