1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MVPs not all are equal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jun 27, 2017.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So Westbrook gets the NBA MVP; (which is kind of ironic that he wins because he had the greatest individual stats; not because of how his team won or how his teammates performed around him.)

This got me thinking about in the major sports how historically (past 40 years) it appears to me that the public has ranked them in prestige as follows:

1. MLB
    2. NHL
    3. NBA
    4. NFL

Certainly the NHL is way below the others but the Hart trophy seems to carry more weight than the others. Up until recently the NBAs MVP appeared to take a backseat to the Finals MVP. As for the NFL, with the Offensive and Defensive POYs, its appeared to be quite diluted.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

1. Heisman
    2. everything else

And it's crazy that it's that way, especially considering who has won it and why. But it is what it is. BTW, I agree with your order subsequent to the Heisman. And let's face it, college football IS a major sport.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nobody really pays any attention to the Heisman Amy more, either.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That might be because no one's heard of the Heisman Amy

Draft saved Draft deleted