1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mutai sets marathon record (kind of)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It will, when the mark gets below 2:01. People will really start to pay attention to it then. I kind of do now.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A tailwind technicality on a marathon? Seriously? Add that to the list of absurdities...

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Boston is not an easy course, either, even if it's considered downhill.

2:03 is fucking fast. I'm guessing we'll see a 1:59 marathon in the next 20 years. Maybe less than that if the right steroids are in play.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only thing really remarkable is the wind isn't out of the northeast in Boston in mid-April.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Not really, since it's more or less a straight line from Hopkinton to Boston, as opposed to a loop-style course seen in many other marathons.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

Did you guys catch the women's race?

Un-freakin-believably exciting.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Go from Mile 16 to Mile 22 and tell me that's a downhill course. I know it's mostly downhill for the first 6 miles or so, but there are a lot of other marathon courses far easier than Boston.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Worth noting that the London marathon was won in record fashion by another Mutai, Emmanuel, likewise Kenyan, on Sunday.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Calling it downhill is misleading. It's a net elevation drop from start to finish. What happens between those two points, well ...

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My whale-like carcas couldn't run 2 miles in 2:03.whatever, let alone 26 miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted