1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Mrs. Fly and I truly enjoyed our VT adventure in May. Only got to spend part of one day in Burlington but it was nice. Waterbury had a great small town vibe as well.

Throw in Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME as cool towns that I wish we had more time to explore.

Denver area is one of my faves, as is Madison, WI.

Cleveland is a very underrated beer and food destination, we try to get there a few times a year. Always have a great time there.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Charlottesville, Va.
    Fernandina Beach, Fla.
    Pasadena, Calif.
    Chattanooga, Tenn.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good call on Chattanooga. Very cool town. And despite the presence of UVA, Charlottesville is a nice town.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nashville
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Las Vegas
    Savannah
    Stanley, ID
    Telluride
    New York City
    Chicago

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Chicago - fun town
    Second Vancouver BC - Great combination of nightlife and nature.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I much prefer Memphis to Nashville, but that's largely due to the fact the food is infinitely better in Memphis (not just barbecue, but some of the best fried chicken in the world).

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not much to Pasadena, really. Although I have been on a tour at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, which was fantastic.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Denver is fine for a base camp, but Boulder and the mountains are much, much better.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you're going to be in California, the place is somewhere between San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach and Santa Barbara.

Someone mentioned Kansas City. That to me is the most underrated city in America and one of my top five choices for place to kill a day/weekend.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned Washington D.C.? It really is a great city. Abe Polin needs a statue in from of Verizon Center for what he did to that area. Tons and Tons of great restaurants and bars in that area. And the National Portrait Gallery the the American Art Museum next door. Another block or two past that is Ford's Theater.

Plus Georgetown, Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle, Upper NW/ Cleveland Park.

Culturally its as good as NYC, the museums are better and cheaper (Simthsonian museums are still free) DC and there is some good theater. The Caps and Wizards play downtown and Nationals Park is a very nice baseball park. It'll take a few years for the neighborhood to develop but it is still in the city.

As much as the politicians suck, the city is beautiful. The National Mall on the weekends used to be, still maybe, a college campus. Flag football, frisbee football. The monuments, the Canal, boating on the Potomac. You can get weepy at Arlington National Cemetary and look over the Lincoln, Jefferson Memorials and the Washington Monument. THe FDR Memorial is under-visited and really well done.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dick was looking for cities he had not been too. If you read his post you would have
    seen that he lived in DC for a while serving as a page for Barney Frank.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

DC is a great, great city. So much to do and see. Oftentimes, I'll choose a neighborhood and spend an afternoon just walking around, stopping in at some of the different bars/restaurants/shops/whatever.

Commuting can be a pain for sure, but coming over the hill on 395 by the Pentagon just as the sun rises is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Just a great view of the city.

Draft saved Draft deleted