1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is the $35 million art center open at VCU yet? Was supposed to be a big thing a few years ago.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

There was another thread on here a few years ago where I talked up Columbus, far and away the best city to visit in Ohio. German village, arena district, Franklin Park Conservatory, and Ohio State/High St. is fun too (if you don't go on a gameday and don't wear other college gear) . And if you're ever near, check out the Ohio Supreme Court, a really spectacular building.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pictures don't do it justice. And you'll be surprised at how small it is. I first went to Telluride 40 years ago when it was destitute. Since then, it's been greatly Aspenized. Still, it's the most spectacular part of the state.

I would have recommended Durango because of access to many other options with a long day trip to Telluride. But you won't be disappointed. Plenty of bike trails, hiking and rafting. Jeep tours over some rough and tumble terrain that will blow you away. Go up to Bridal Veil Falls.

Are you flying into Telluride or into Denver and driving down there? It's definitely remote and there are different ways to get there, some better than others.

Doing a 14er could be tough because the southwest part of the state got slammed with snow this year and late storms haven't helped with runoff. When are you going? And there's not much access to 14ers down there as elsewhere in the state. Mount Wilson, perhaps? But be sure you plan a 14er well ahead, especially in the summer when thunderstorms kick up. Lizard Head, while not a 14er, is a gorgeous hike.

I'd recommend a side trip to Ouray -- the Switzerland of America. You can go the long way or take a Jeep over Imogene Pass. If you decide to go to Ouray, go the extra 25 miles and drop into Silverton, if for nothing some of the most spectacular scenery you'll see.

Not much in Silverton other than the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gaugue trains that come in daily, but the scenery over Red Mountain Pass will wow you.

You'll get a lot in in three days. Drink lots of water. Makes a huge difference at altitude.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And Tahoe is only 15 minutes away.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

We need more details.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

It's Wisconsin, they're working with what they've got.

britwrit likes this.
  8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Telluride is beautiful. As for restaurants, Allred's is pricey (as are most of the restaurants in Telluride) but the view is incredible. There is run by hipster stoners and it's tiny. The food and drinks are great. I thought the pizza at Brown Dog was just OK, but others seem to love it.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Is the $35 million art center open at VCU yet?

Not yet, they haven't ordered the crayons. Sorry, can't help myself.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Moddy's gonna ban you.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just read this whole thread again. Perhaps the best one you ever started, Dick.

I've mentioned my love for N'Awlins, Charleston, Key West and Sanibel. More on the day-trip list for us:

1. Baltimore. Lots to do, lots of good things to eat. Inner Harbor is a day in itself with the aquarium and the malls.

2. Lancaster, Pa. Not for the city, but for the Amish country 10 miles out of town. Little town of Intercourse is great fun with shops, etc.

Lots of people like Gettysburg, with good reason. It would be a very nice place to live, in fact. But when your elementary school classes go there every year for six years, the charm of Civil War tours wears off.

As I've said, Philly is good for me only for the fact that Reading Terminal Market is there. Everyone should spend 3-4 hours there at least once.

In the past few years, the wife and I have really enjoyed doing some wine trails. We did those in the Finger Lakes, Charlottesville and the Erie area. A really fun day to just drive around and hit as many wineries and tastings as you can. Bucks County, Pa. (New Hope has been mentioned) is great for a day of that, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted